Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Help deciding on arrows

Old 07-28-2007, 09:02 PM

Default Help deciding on arrows

Hey guys, Im trying to decide on my arrows for this fall.. I have shot Easton Exel 400s for the last few years, but am thinking of changing to something else. Im not sure I want the thin diameter carbons, and am thinking about Gold Tip Pro Hunters, but am not sure if the .001straightness is worth $100 per dozen for raw shafts, also thinking of Carbon Express Maximas, not quite as tight in tolerances, .0025 I think.. Or should I just shoot ACCs, or Full Metal Jackets?? Whats everyone think is the best arrow, Is it worth the extra money for the .001 straightness, and 2 grain weight tolerances, or Is it not all that noticable. I will be shooting a 29 inch arrow, out of a Switchback XT 29 inch draw at 67 lbs. Like to use 100 grain Muzzys wanting to try MX3s with onestringers arrow wraps, and Blazer vanes. Help me out , Thanks
Old 07-29-2007, 11:45 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Help deciding on arrows

I love the Full Metal Jackets but can't find them at a decent price.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:53 PM

Angus, we started selling the Carbon Express line up this year, and we have been nothing short of impressed with their performance. I'm actually shooting the Maxima 3D Selects, and they have a .001 tolerance. The Maxima Hunters (.0025) sell for $139/dozen, and the 3D Selects sell for $149/dozen....It was an easy choice for me....The biggest difference being the 3D's don't have the weight forward technology.

I have next to no experience w/ Gold Tip, so I can't speak intelligently about those. But I know a few guys that shoot them and they are very happy with them.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can buy the XT Hunters and save yourself $35. O the poll that was done most of the guys using GT's use the XT Hunters. If you get a chance shoot MDBUCKHUNTER a PM. He has your bow and DL set-up in his OT2 and can check if you are good with the 5575's or need the 7595's. He was using 5575's at 29". However, I believe he was underspined. Now he uses a 28" arrow with a 125 gr tip and the 7595's @ 69 lbs.

Old 07-29-2007, 04:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I shoot the XT Hunters right now but I am switching to the Pro-Hunters very soon. I just dont think I'm going to be completely satisifed until I am shooting a superior shaft. Call me crazy, that's just me. If you want to see some XT Hunter groups go to my Quickspin and Blazer review thread in the bowhunting section.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot the pro hunters for about 6 months, they seemed great, but after a while they began taking a beating from all the shooting I did.I decided to try the Maxima 350's, and am very glad I did, they are the best shaft I have shot period. The Maximas are far more durable then the pro hunters, and from what I hear GT's quality control is a little off[:-].
Old 07-29-2007, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Cougars09

I shoot the XT Hunters right now but I am switching to the Pro-Hunters very soon. I just don't think I'm going to be completely satisfied until I am shooting a superior shaft. Call me crazy, that's just me. If you want to see some XT Hunter groups go to my Quickspin and Blazer review thread in the bowhunting section.
Cougars save your money.

MD was using Pro-Hunters & I use XT Hunters. He switched after I kept outshooting him and proving that the XT's work as well. Most of the guys in the arrow poll use the XT's.If you cut your own shafts you can get the XT's as good as the Pro's for the majority of the shafts but cutting off the worse end. Shops only cut off the insert end of the arrow and leave the nock end. The nock end is usally always bent too on any shaft. Ido aninitial 1" cut off of both ends and then spin and cut the end that is off. This advice even came from the GT staff guy if you call them.

Also, I use the nock pins instead of the regular nocks to protect the end of the shaft. I smack the snot out of them when I shoot groups and the shafts hold up well. I think people want to see a nice shiny shaft or they think that it's starting to weaken. That's just not true.

There's nothing wrong at all with the XT's or GT shafts.

I also have some CX 3-D Selects and the XT shafts shoot as well as they do even with the .001 tolerance on the CX's.

Oh, GT will replace any shaft that you do not deem straight enough. Just call them up and they'll send you out replacements.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:11 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Angus74

Hey guys, Im trying to decide on my arrows for this fall.. I have shot Easton Exel 400s for the last few years, but am thinking of changing to something else. Im not sure I want the thin diameter carbons, and am thinking about Gold Tip Pro Hunters, but am not sure if the .001straightness is worth $100 per dozen for raw shafts, also thinking of Carbon Express Maximas, not quite as tight in tolerances, .0025 I think.. Or should I just shoot ACCs, or Full Metal Jackets?? Whats everyone think is the best arrow, Is it worth the extra money for the .001 straightness, and 2 grain weight tolerances, or Is it not all that noticable. I will be shooting a 29 inch arrow, out of a Switchback XT 29 inch draw at 67 lbs. Like to use 100 grain Muzzys wanting to try MX3s with onestringers arrow wraps, and Blazer vanes. Help me out , Thanks
Beman has let me down for the last time.I am lucky to find 3-5 perfectly straight out of a dozen.So I too wanted to change from Black Max's to something simular. I went looking for the gold tips and local shop showed me some of the pro's. I could only find 6 out of 12 that met thier claimed straightness. Same crap as Beman. We looked at two different dozen. All junk

So it was suggested I look at CX Edge. And I have to say, I am impressed. The whole dozen are straight enough to put a broadhead on and spin true. And with a looser guarnatee.

Don't pay attention to guarantees. Try getting them to back up thier straightness guarantees and see what kinda run around you get.

Old 07-29-2007, 08:13 PM

Hey, Thanks for the advice guys, I wondered if I would be able to tell the difference in the more expensive arrows. Ive shot for years and have built my own arrows since I was 15 (18 years) and used to shoot A/C/Cs in 3-d all the time, but got tired of them getting bent. I was also wondering what is the purpose of the bulldog collar on the Maxima Hunters? It looks nice and all, but does it serve a purpose? I want a quality arrow for hunting, but I can usually shoot good groups out to 50-60 with my cheaper arrows, and wish I know if the straighter arrows will actually improve my shooting or just cost me more money. Thanks again guys, keep the advice coming.