Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I need help deciding >

I need help deciding

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I need help deciding

Old 09-15-2005, 08:39 AM

Default I need help deciding

I went to my pro shop yesterday to buy some orange and white 4" Duravanes. I fletched two arrows with one white and two orange Duravanes, and two with one white and two green Bohning Fletch-Tite 4" vanes. I cannot decide which combo to use.

4"Bohning Fletch-Tite vanes

Pros- They are heavy, durable, and the colors really look good on my arrows.
Cons- They are heavy (which gives me a 14% FOC), and I may lose them after shooting a deer if they get buried in the grass.

4"Duravanes

Pros- They are light (which gives me 12.5% FOC), andthey will be easy to find after the shot.
Cons- They look a little flimsy, and I would have to buy new nocks to match my vanes. They also don't match the color on my broadhead.

I would like your opinions on which combo I should use. I am leaning towards the Duravanes, but I would like to stay with my Bohning since I have 250 Bohning vanes.

Buckeyebuckhntr- Please do not participate in this survey.When I come to a conclusion you always say somthing that changes my mind.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:53 AM

Default RE: I need help deciding

I don't know what kind of rest you're using, but if its a WB I'd use the bohnning vanes. they are VERY durable and I haven't had any of the ususal fletch wear associated with the WB since using these fletches/vanes. IMHO dura vanes suck
Old 09-15-2005, 08:55 AM

I am using the Trophy Taker Shakey Hunter rest.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Color matching isn't something I'd worry about. Especially if the vanes are all red after a pass through.

Do you notice any differences in arrow flight between the two combinations? That would be my only real concern.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:18 AM

ORIGINAL: JeramyK

Color matching isn't something I'd worry about. Especially if the vanes are all red after a pass through.

Do you notice any differences in arrow flight between the two combinations? That would be my only real concern.
Color matching is one of the most important things in archery. When I fletch my arrows they have to be perfect. On my gold tips I had a yellow Magnus Stinger, one white andtwo yellow vanes and a yellow nock. On my A/C/C's I have a Green Muzzy, one white and two green vanes, and a green nock. I have a blade on my Muzzy's pointing straight up with the wordsMuzzy pointing left. I also have my arrows fletched so the Easton A/C/C points to the left. The fact that I have two arrows fletched with orange vanes and a green nock is killing me.

I am going to go shoot them today, but I can only shoot 20 yards at 65 lbs. I am planning on turning my bow up to 70 lbs, but I have not been able to do that yet. I just wanted to see if any vane setup would work better then the other.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:38 AM
Fork Horn

Zak, I think I just figured out why it took you 115 days to see your first deer last year. Quit staring at your perfectly color coordinated arrows! And remember, dont ever wear white after Labor Day. Oh, and always match your belt to your shoes.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't forget to match your purse color to your fletchings, deer don't like mismatches.

Personally I like feathers but I would definitely go with the Bohning.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:58 AM
Fork Horn

Last year I started fletching my own arrows and I'm using Fletch Tite. I use a whisker Biscuit and I've never had a problem (Hundreds of shots). I think they are fabulous fletchings.