Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Black Ice Speed Estimate >

Black Ice Speed Estimate

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Black Ice Speed Estimate

Old 07-05-2007, 11:25 AM
Fork Horn

Default Black Ice Speed Estimate

I just ordered a Diamond Black Ice and would like to know approximately what speed it would shoot at, set for 65lb draw weight, 29 in draw length, 300cx carbon express arrows with 100 grain broad heads, and whisker biscuit. I unfortunately don't have one of those devices that measures speed and I'm just wondering approximately what speed it would be shooting at.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Black Ice Speed Estimate

I'm not sure what your finished arrow weight would be, that will have a big effect on what sort of speeds you'll get.

The Black Ice isn't lightning fast, but of course, it doesn't really have to be.

At 60#s with a perfect 300 gr arrow, at 28.5", a gent I shoot with has his going 285, which is pretty fast considering. With your set up, I would expect somewhere in the 260s, maybe low 270s. Depends all on that finished arrow weight
Old 07-05-2007, 12:06 PM

In most of these scenarios, I'm not sure it is even useful to know the exact speed. It is what it is . . . . . Just set the bow up right, get all your pins set for distances, and practice good shot placement. Just about everyone I know who gets curious about speed has just had someone tell them that their bow is going 288 fps with a certain arrow. Now we have to know what our bow is going in fps . . . . The kind of stuff that campfire chest thumping is all about.

Then, feeling inadequate, you wind up either shooting a lighter arrow or cranking the bow's draw weight up to where it's a strain.

Having said that, I think Swamp Collie's estimate is about right.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:24 PM

i will tell you what the man a the bow shop tells me fast enough.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:36 AM
Fork Horn

Hey it makes for good conversation during the off season! And it's just interesting to know. It doesn't mean go tweak your stuff to become something that the equipment is really not made for.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:07 AM
Spike

Mine shoots at 280 fps with a 355 gr arrow. I have since went heavier on the tips and have not measured the speed.(I don't have my own Chrono) Good luck with the bow, I'm sure you will love it.