Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 G5 Optix ME first Impressions >

G5 Optix ME first Impressions

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

G5 Optix ME first Impressions

Old 05-11-2007, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default G5 Optix ME first Impressions

I just bought a G5 Optix ME .019" sight off a fellow Huntingnet.com member and my first impressions are that it's one sweet sight.I'm not a professional writer so you'll have to bear with me with my rambling.

The .019" pins are great. I can see very small objects on the target at 30 yds where before the whole black center ring was hidden with the .029" pins on my old rest.

The rest is easy to sight in.
Main housing can be adjusted vertically and horizontally with a thumb screw. Just loosenthe hex hold down bolt and turn the thumb wheel to move the whole assembly up or down, or left to right. No worries oftrying to adjust by sliding the bar by hand.

Once that is done you can adjust each pin independently with it's own screw. No worries of having to loosen up a hex nut and slide the pin by hand. You loosen a lock down hex screw and then use a hex wrench to adjust the screw for micro adjust. I think this is the best part of the whole sight. You can make very small adjustments without worrying about the pin being slid too far if you flinch.

The included LED lights up the pins sufficiently. Overall, I would recommend this sight to anyone looking for a sight that is easy to set-up and easy to sight in.

The sight comes with scales that can be used for the floating pin. The scale goes from 50 yds to 80 yds for the 240 fps scale,with 10 yd major marks and 5 yd minor marks, up to 50 yds to 100 yds for the 320 fps scale. Scales range in 5 fps increments beteen the 2. All you do is sight in the pin for 50 yds at the top and attach the scale to the housing. There's a thumb screw that clicks at each setting.

Overall I'd give this sight an A+.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:16 AM

Default RE: G5 Optix ME first Impressions

a+? no way it gets an a+ until you've hunted w/ it a season.
Old 05-12-2007, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Geez gibblet.

Ok, it gets an a+ for set-up, looks,and first impression. Overall score a solid B and when I've hunted with it I'll re-adjust the grade as needed.
Old 05-12-2007, 04:24 PM

PMS?

It's a very nice sight.

Old 05-14-2007, 05:06 AM

no, no pms, its like the sts theory davepr had, that's now changed. i've learned from my mistakes on saying some accessory is the cats meow - and realized later - after a season of hunting - that i'd steered anyone who may have listened in a poor direction. its best for all our wallets for a real grade not to be given until something is really tested because dang if thereisn't a whole bunch of archery stuff that really looks great, and looks like it will perform great, and doesn't for very long.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

At the end of the season I'll give it my final grade. My initial grade was purely a first impression grade andI stated that.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:59 PM

ORIGINAL: davepjr71

I just bought a G5 Optix ME .019" sight off a fellow Huntingnet.com member and my first impressions are that it's one sweet sight.

The rest is easy to sight in.

Overall I'd give this sight an A+.
Who says he has to hunt with it to give it a grade. I have owned sights that I thought were great that never made it out into the woods. He said it plain and clear that it was his first impressions.

Old 05-17-2007, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

after hunting with it, you will be giving it an a+, you forgot to mention the weight of the sight. It is SUPER light, and has harmonic dampners, yes it does look a little funny on my hoyt,but i love it.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I did forget about the weight. When I handed it to MDBUCKHUNTER his face was priceless. He was like. Holly sh$5 this thing is light.

I've done one small modification to the pin lock down screws. Added small lockwashers over the flat washers that come with it.I didn't like turning so hard on the screws and the lock washers remedy my uncanny ability to break things that others say don't break.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've done one small modification to the pin lock down screws. Added small lockwashers over the flat washers that come with it.I didn't like turning so hard on the screws and the lock washers remedy my uncanny ability to break things that others say don't break.
Funny you should mention this, i actually twisted one of those screws off. That was a pain! I might use your idea Thanks!

Quick Reply: G5 Optix ME first Impressions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.