Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Walker Game Ear?

Old 12-18-2002, 07:00 AM

Default Walker Game Ear?

Any of you ever use this product and if so was it a good product,I have been thinking of purchasing one but would like a hunter's opion on it first I have talked to their sales people but of course they are going to brag up the game ear I would appreciate any input good or bad and thank's
Old 12-19-2002, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Walker Game Ear?

I have the game ear and will give you my opinion. First let me say that I have a 40% hearing loss so anything I use has to first overcome that handycap and then amplify some more. I bought my GameEars (plural) about two years ago and have enjoyed hunting more ever since. It's nice not to have deer walk in on me from behind and I don't hear them until I turn and spook them and off they go. Now I have the luxury of often times hearing them long before Ieven see them. Hunting is more enjoyable now, again.
Now the reason I say I have two, Well, both ears are bad. Put one in one ear and you will hear better, but you won't hear right. Nor will you be able to discern direction. All you will be able to tell is that you hear leaves rustling or whatever noise is being amplified. If you can hear now then you know you hear in stereo, just as with two eyes your depth perception is better with two eyes. So two are best if you want to get the best out of them.
Are there some drawbacks to them? You bet. The microphones pick up wind noise on windy days. But then I have the same thing with my regular hearing aids that don't amplify as well. Those days aren't that often though.
Is there a better system? I don't know. Don't have the money to try all the things and report on them. I did have a pair of Action Ears before and found the muffs to be anooying. Too heavy, too bulky, used batteries like a teenager eating pizza, sweaty around the earmuffs. You name it.
Hope this helps some. I consider it $400 well spent.