Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

riverswest jackets

Old 03-19-2007, 05:41 PM

Default riverswest jackets

i went to bass pro to go try one on and man u could tell rite off the back that they were good and very comfortable.....has anyone ever used these jackets out in the field though?
Old 04-15-2007, 09:50 PM

Default RE: riverswest jackets

They are nice gear, I took mine back to sportsmans wharehouse, It didn't breath and I got soaked from sweating, Would be nice if you where on a stand or still hunting in the cold.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:00 AM

They are 100% waterproof; that means no water in, no water out. Don't think that you're going to be able to hike around in this stuff without building up condensation inside. It's made to keep the rain off, and it'll sure do it, just make sure you've got all the vents open when you go for a walk! They are also very quiet for rain gear and extremely durable (although not indestructable as they lead you to believe).
Old 04-16-2007, 02:06 PM

Rob - being from Alaska, maybe you can answer this question: I have heard from more than one person who came back from an Alaskan hunt that Gore Tex just won't keep you dry up there. They say the locals wear heavy duty rubberized and otherwise non-breathable rain gear. I have been in some fairly serious rain storm here in Colorado and was very satisfied with the Gore Tex products. Thanks. Roskoe.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:50 PM

A rain storm and 5 straight days of heavy, wind blown rain are two different things; if it's breathable, it's not waterproof (period). The wind up here will drive water right through semi-permiable membrane fabrics. I've owned some of the best mountaineering, and hunting raingear in the world and all breathable fabrics will eventually soak through, Gore-Tex or not. (There is nothing ever marketed by Cabela's in the past that I've found to be "waterproof").The Rivers West gear is the closest to rubberized raingear that you're going to find; it keeps all the water off but also turns into a portable sauna, just like rubber. The benefit over rubber is that it's quieter, more durable, vented and camoflaged. I hate wearing mine but it's better than getting soaked...

Anymore, if it's raining that hard I either stay in the tipi with a good book or I stay home. Hunting is supposed to be fun.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:06 AM

so what about using the jacket more for warmth,and bowhunting?
Old 04-17-2007, 10:30 AM

If I was just getting one just for warmth it certainly wouldn't be Rivers West. They are warm but they don't breath, and they're expensive! And while they're very quiet for raingear, they're loud in the bigger scheme of things. Look into the Mad Dog Gear Silent Stalker Plus line. This stuff is warm and absolutely the most quiet gear I've ever used!
Old 04-17-2007, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

My experience has been the same as Kodiaks.I have had two sets of Rivers West the original and the LAW series.I sold them both because of the amount of walking at grade that I do I was sweating my butt off.I will now carry light rain gear in a pack on days that threaten bad weather.Rivers West is very well made,but it just wasn't working for me.
I have recently bought some Dutch Harbor rain gear.Very light and very quiet for rain gear.I will see how durable it is.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:07 PM

what other gear would you look into or buy if you were looking for those thingss....what about the other fleece jacket...
Old 04-18-2007, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

The other gear you purchase or use is dependant upon the temperatures and weather conditions that you are hunting in.I would recommend that you or anyone else think in terms of a layering system.The mountain climbers have it all over us in terms of their under standing of how to dress and layer.
I took me a lot of years and dollars wasted before I have come to conclusions that make sense to me.If you were to tell me what conditions or range of conditions you will be hunting in I will give you my opinions as to effective ways to go about your clothing selections.