Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 need help with my release >

need help with my release

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

need help with my release

Old 03-17-2007, 12:32 PM

Default need help with my release

well hopefully you all can give me some helpfull input on this , i just got my drenalin all set up and it is set at 60 pounds , i am having trouble pulling it back with the release but no problem at all with out it, should i go with a three finger release or will my bow adjust down anymore than 60 being that it is the 60 - 70 draw weight , i was just wondering if i could cheat another pound or 2 out of it , i am new to the sport and any help is welcome
Old 03-17-2007, 07:18 PM

Default RE: need help with my release

Take the bow to your shop. They might be able to lessen the poundage in the limbs without hurting the performance.

I know archers who have 50-60 lbs limbs set at 65 lbs. These limbs still meet the criteria of the 60 lb flex, etc. So all is good.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:03 AM
Fork Horn

Definately have your local pro shop help you out. Compounds aren't really made to be shot with your fingers(I know you CAN, it just wasn't intended to be that way) and accuracy suffers heavily. I've got a PSE that has 70 lb. limbs, but during leagues and the off-season I'll drop the poundage down to 50-55 lbs with no ill-effects. All it really means is that when hunting season arrives, you will have to spend a little time adjusting your sight pins for increased poundage.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:24 AM

ORIGINAL: rlkarmy15

well hopefully you all can give me some helpfull input on this , i just got my drenalin all set up and it is set at 60 pounds , i am having trouble pulling it back with the release but no problem at all with out it, should i go with a three finger release or will my bow adjust down anymore than 60 being that it is the 60 - 70 draw weight , i was just wondering if i could cheat another pound or 2 out of it , i am new to the sport and any help is welcome
What kind of release are you using? Beginners often find that a wrist strap model helps them draw more weight. I'd recommend a buckle strap over velcro if you have a choice (it's more consistant in the strap tension and release positioning in relation to your hand as well as quieter to take off in the woods).
Old 03-19-2007, 10:05 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with KodiakArcher, starting out your best to go with a wrist strap type release, they make the draw alot easier. But once you get used to the poundage of your bow and how it draws, then you might go to finger releases, but not untill you get used to drawing a bow.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just possible that the drawlength on the bow is too long also. This can play havoc with trying to get to full draw, especially witha release that may be set too long also.

It also sounds like somebody had a testosterone attack when buying a bow. Quite normal these days.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:32 PM

thanks for all the input , i dont think testosterone was the issue , i am using a wrist strap release with a buckle and i just needed it shorted up a little bit so my draw length was correct, after i made that small modification it pulls back really smooth .
Old 03-20-2007, 06:36 AM
Fork Horn

I would expect that it should, it usualy is alot easier frawing a bow at first with a wrist strap type release. But when you get used to how your bow draws then you might go to a hand release. I reccomend a thumb trigger first and mabey you can work your way to a Backtension release. They have a supprise release untill you get used to them, then you start punching them, . But all in all i'm glad you asked for the advise. And i was glad to help.