Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Turbonoks

Old 03-09-2007, 05:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Turbonoks

What is your experience with these? I don't mean the whole fletching/nock setup-just the nock. It sounds like a great idea on paper to start the arrow spinning as soon as it leaves the string. How about practical input?
Old 03-10-2007, 11:59 AM

Default RE: Turbonoks

One of my buddies, who is a serious hunter but not a real serious target shooter, tried them. He thought it was an easy way to build arrows without having tobuy a fletcher. The arrows as I recall,grouped about 4to 5" at 20 yards, and around a foot at 50 yards - which is about as good as he can shoot. I didn't try them out of my bow since the arrow spine was wrong. But he shot a doe last November and had the turbo nock assembly depart the arrow instead of staying with it going through the ribs. Then, of course, he couldn't find the arrow. That was enough to cause him to quit using them. I also kinda wondered if certain rests might cause the turbo nock tocome offas well. Chuck was using a fall away, so no issue with his setup.

Old 03-11-2007, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not talking about the vane/fletching/nock all together as 1 piece,but the nocks alone. I have used feathers for 30 years and they have served me well. With all due respect roscoe-it sounds like you need to help your buddy with form/tuning/setup as 4-5" is good grouping @ 35-40 yards NOT 20! I build my own carbon arrows and am currently uning standard nocks. I have some of these nocks ordered and will share my opinion as to accuracy as soon as I can compare turbonoks and regular nocks sids by side.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:09 AM

His bow is tuned as good as it can be. Problem is that he is left eye dominant and has a stigmatism in the right eye - but can't shoot left handed. He shoots good enough to take game at short and medium distance - but marginally so.

I guess I misunderstood your initial post. I was thinking of those nocks that have four little tabs that stick out. Is there some other kind of Turbonock?
Old 03-13-2007, 05:05 PM
Typical Buck

A friend gave me 4 of them to try out a few years ago . The green Hunter Turbo Nocks. I shave the vanes off 4 good arrows and installed them . It put the plastic turbo vane right by my cheek . when i shot , the plastic vane would tick my cheek and I started to develop a flinch . I gave them away !
Old 03-27-2007, 03:57 PM

There is a version of their nock that is called the T4. It is just the nock without the plastic vanes so you get the twist off the string but you can use regular vanes. I shot them for a while with Blazers and Quick Spin Hunters. I had good luck with them and had good arrow flight with broadheads. Only complaint I had with them is that they did not fit my CX Maxima Hunters very snug so they were constantly twisting and I had to line them up shot after shot.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:28 PM

Seems like it might cause premature serving wear while coming off the string.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:36 PM

I haven't used turbonoks, but have used a similar kind of product...FOBs by Starrflight.They work really well. I didn't have to tune my broadheads at all and got impact points nearly identical to field points (even at 40+ yards). Also, with the FOBs I don't shoot groups anymore because I break too many of them (tight groups but creates a downside as they are a little expensive). As in an earlier post about the turbonoks, the FOBs also come off when the arrow goes into an animal. Starrflight claims that you will get deeper penetration as the force to pop the FOB off is less than the frictional force created by dragging vanes through an animal. Regardless, I love the way they control my arrows and that I no longer have to worry about trying to remove old vanes off of carbon arrows. Check out their website if you are interested.

http://www.starrflight.com/