Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Speed vs. Weight

Old 03-06-2007, 08:15 PM

Default Speed vs. Weight

I currently use the 3-blade Muzzy 100 grain broadhead. I've been wondering how much speed would be gained by going to the 75 grain. The reason for this is that I'd like to shoot a little flatter and maybe be able to use just one pin out to 30 yards. I only hunt turkey and whitetail with my bow, so I'm not worried about carrying enough KE to punch through the shoulder of a moose. Is this one way to achieve my goal? If not, what are some other options?
Old 03-06-2007, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Speed vs. Weight

You can gain approximatly 1 foot per second per every 3 grains in arrow weight you drop. So you should gain close to 7 or 8 feet per second dropping down to a 75grain head. There are all kinds of options to gain speed, loosing rubber tube on peep sight, taking off any none needed things on your string that add weight, shooting smaller lighter vanes to reduce arrow weight, increase draw weight, lots of little things like that.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:25 PM

You could also potentially wind up with too stiff of an arrow(if you just change points on the same arrow). Might have to go with a slightlylower spine rating- if you are currently about right with the 100 grain.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your foc would change also. I like to have around 11 to 12% foc for broaheads.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:09 AM

I think you'd be better to drop the shaft weight rather than the point weight; either go to smaller fletchings (Blazers) or go to a lighter shaft. If you're not gaining at least 10 fps I wouldn't even bother since you'll probably not even notice. Besides, accuracy is more important than either speed or KE.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:06 PM

How fast are you shooting your current set up? In order to effectively shoot dead flat to 30 yards, you need about 330 fps. I had my Vulcan set at 70#/30" shooting a 390 grain arrow at 315 fps. I had the same idea of setting 1 pin out to 30 yards and it is possible, but it takes a little guess work. I set the pin dead on at 25 yards and was only 2" high at 20 yards and about 3 inches low at 30. I could hold dead center out to 30 and make an effective shot....however, if you set your second pin at 40, this creates a hole as you have a 15 yard variance between deadon 1st pin and 2nd pin. I opted to go with a heavier Axis FMJ arrow grained out to 450 and shoot it 297. This is a heck of lot more energy and a lot more accurate. When you get upwards of 310 to 330 fps, it's amazing how erratic your bow will shoot if it is not tuned dead nuts and if you arent used to shooting that fast. Please dont let this discourage you from more speed, you may be an excellent archer or have the time to practice enough to get good. But if you are shooting in the 280's, chances are you may not get up to the 310's without a lighter arrow and upping your pounds to 70. Just speaking from my own experience.

Old 03-07-2007, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

If your bow is anywhere remotely close to 300 fps Id say 285 and up you can get 30 yards with one pin. I had a Bowtech Allegiance 29" 70 lbs shooting a 360 grain arrow at 310 fps and top pin was dead on at 33 yards and about an inch maybe two inches high at 20.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Doublelunginem, the Hoyt Vulcan is only rated at 325fps. I'm very suprised to hear that your getting 315 fps shooting 40 grains over minimum. Usualy im lucky to get with in 10 fps of addvertised speeds even at IBO standards and bare string.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:20 PM

Yes, I believe I just got lucky. When I bought the Vulcan, we rigged it up with a 355 grain arrow which we weighed on the digital scale. After 3 shots through the chronograph, we averaged 328.6 fps....I then shot my 390 grain CX arrows and they registered 314 fps 3 x's in a row. Thats when I went with the heavier arrow in the FMJ Axis 340 which grain 450 grains. These registered 297 fps 3 shots in a row. To verify these speeds, I took my bow to another bow shop and record 1 fps faster with the different chronograph.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:11 PM

Actually, it makes since to me to be shooting as fast as I am....especially since adding 95 grains to the original arrow weight (which registered roughly 328 fps), my speed slowed down roughly 31 fps, down to 297 fps. This is about the performance I would expect. I confirmed with the bowshop that I bought my bow from that adding 100 grains of arrow weight generally slows the speed down about 30 fps.

I do understand what you are saying about most bows not achieving their advertised IBO speeds. If I am correct, the new Bowtech Guardian advertises an IBO speed of 320 to 330 or roughly the same as the Vulcan. This is amazing considering the 7.25" bh of the Guardian vs. the 6" bh of my Vulcan. Well, I was able to actually put them to the test. I went to a bow shop around here that did not sell Hoyt, but was a Bowtech dealer. I really like the Guardian. I liked the quietness of the shot and lack of vibration, but then found that the bow was set at 59#/30"....when we cranked it up to 70#, the guardian was just as noisy and had just as much hand shock as the Vulcan (which granted, is still minimal). I shot the exact same 450 grain arrow through the chrono out of my Vulcan and the Guardian, both set at IBO standards. My Vulcan registered 297 fps and the Guardian registered 282 fps. 15 fps slower than the Vulcan, but yet the same advertised IBO.

Another fellow here, bought a Vulcan from the same dealer i purchased mine from, but his is set at 62#/27".... I witnessed him register 300 fps through the chrono with a 310 grain arrow. Of course, this was at 5g/#, but still impressive.

I would still cant wait to shoot the new PSE bow coming out that is advertising 350 fps. I met the PSE rep at the same bow shop, and he had one with him. Due to amatuer competion going on in the range, I didnt get to shoot it, but he claimed that the bow he had in his hand (set at 60#/29") would shoot a 300 grain arrow 337 fps. That's simply amazing.

I'm not a speed hungry archer....what appealled to me was the ability to go with a heavier arrow and still maintain my 290's speed that I am comfortable with. If the new PSE holds up to the standard 30 fps loss for 100 grains of arrow weight, you should be able to get 290 fps out of it with a 550 grain arrow at 70#/30". I would love to find out!!!

Quick Reply: Speed vs. Weight

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.