HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Speed vs. Weight
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2007, 10:11 PM
doublelunginem

Default RE: Speed vs. Weight

Actually, it makes since to me to be shooting as fast as I am....especially since adding 95 grains to the original arrow weight (which registered roughly 328 fps), my speed slowed down roughly 31 fps, down to 297 fps. This is about the performance I would expect. I confirmed with the bowshop that I bought my bow from that adding 100 grains of arrow weight generally slows the speed down about 30 fps.

I do understand what you are saying about most bows not achieving their advertised IBO speeds. If I am correct, the new Bowtech Guardian advertises an IBO speed of 320 to 330 or roughly the same as the Vulcan. This is amazing considering the 7.25" bh of the Guardian vs. the 6" bh of my Vulcan. Well, I was able to actually put them to the test. I went to a bow shop around here that did not sell Hoyt, but was a Bowtech dealer. I really like the Guardian. I liked the quietness of the shot and lack of vibration, but then found that the bow was set at 59#/30"....when we cranked it up to 70#, the guardian was just as noisy and had just as much hand shock as the Vulcan (which granted, is still minimal). I shot the exact same 450 grain arrow through the chrono out of my Vulcan and the Guardian, both set at IBO standards. My Vulcan registered 297 fps and the Guardian registered 282 fps. 15 fps slower than the Vulcan, but yet the same advertised IBO.

Another fellow here, bought a Vulcan from the same dealer i purchased mine from, but his is set at 62#/27".... I witnessed him register 300 fps through the chrono with a 310 grain arrow. Of course, this was at 5g/#, but still impressive.

I would still cant wait to shoot the new PSE bow coming out that is advertising 350 fps. I met the PSE rep at the same bow shop, and he had one with him. Due to amatuer competion going on in the range, I didnt get to shoot it, but he claimed that the bow he had in his hand (set at 60#/29") would shoot a 300 grain arrow 337 fps. That's simply amazing.

I'm not a speed hungry archer....what appealled to me was the ability to go with a heavier arrow and still maintain my 290's speed that I am comfortable with. If the new PSE holds up to the standard 30 fps loss for 100 grains of arrow weight, you should be able to get 290 fps out of it with a 550 grain arrow at 70#/30". I would love to find out!!!