Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Arrow Rest Question(s)

Old 02-17-2007, 06:47 PM

Default Arrow Rest Question(s)

I have read through many postings about arrow rests and haven't quite found what I am looking for. I am wondering if anyone can give some good advice?

I have on my Mathews Switchback XT a Cavalier double prong rest and it is time to upgrade. I have spent the last 6 months looking in archery stores, archery catalogs, on-line, etc. for a rest that meets these criteria:

1. Must be light. I will not put a heavy rest on my bow. I bought aMathews and retired my PSE because of weight. I hunt all day long so heavy equipment just won'thack it. By heavy I meanthat I find theMuzzy Zero Effect Rest to be extremely heavy, even Trophy Taker's run heavy for my standards. Don't get me wrong, both of these rests are really nice but they are not what I am looking for.

2. Must fully capture the arrow. I do a lot of stalk hunting so mobility is key. The worst part about a double prong rest is having to keep my index finger on the arrow as I walk. This is not only uncomfortable but in the deep Wisconsin winters, my finger freezes before I get to my stand or to the deer.

3. Must be able to handle extremely low temperatures. I don't want something that won't work if I get some snow or even sleet on it. Heaven for bid the rest would turn noisy.

4. I don't want a rest that has a million parts. Although I want windage adjustments, I don't want a rest that, for example, has a spring set screw that is 1/32" long and having thatfall out during my hunting trip and thus render my rest useless.

5. And finally, I don't want a noisy rest. I don't want to hear the arrow sliding across anything when I pull back. Or, to put it better, I don't want it any louder than my double prong rest.

I was taught to shoot fingers before moving up to a release. That way if my release fails in the field, I would be comfortable enough to finish the huntingtrip shooting naturally.

With rests, it seems like there is such a big step to take with the technology that is out there today. Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Like I said, it has been 6 months or so and I just need some good advice.

Thanks!
Old 02-18-2007, 11:01 AM

Default RE: Arrow Rest Question(s)

Ripcord or ultrarest. Take your pick. Both dropaways that completly capture the shaft. Ive also heard good things about the kazaway but it has a lot more parts. If it were me though I wouldnt fingershoot at an animal with a bow that was sighted in with a release. Since the rest position on a finger shooters bow should be completly different than a release shooters. Never even tried so im not sure but id bet the point of impact would not be the same.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:30 PM

I use a kisser button and nose on the string as an anchor point. Part of my off season shooting is be as confident with my release as I am with fingers.

My anchor point might change a bit with fingers but as long as my nose is on the string, the kisser button on the corner of my mouth and my sight clearly seen through my peep, I know I am on target.

Thanks for the advice. I will look further into the ripcord.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:07 PM

I shoot the Ultra Rest Pro-Series on my Switchback and Drenalin. It's a great rest if set-up correctly.

JJ
Old 02-19-2007, 03:46 PM

If you want just a capture rest, try the NAP Quicktune 360. Had one on last bow and loved it. Its quiet and holds the arrow in place without making fletching contact. You may also want to try the RipCord drop away. I have one now and its great. Its a drop away that holds your arrow in place.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:48 AM

I had thought about the ripcord, but was told the prong is plastic. Kaz away looks like it has plastic as well. I haven't had good experiences with plastic while bowhunting in Wisconsin in December. I was recomended the Schaffer and have been pleased with it, but it doesn't capture the arrow.

J
Old 02-25-2007, 11:57 AM

Yes, plastic is no good. I am leaning towards a WB. Many of the people I have talked to say when drawing back your arrow, they are loud.