Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Fred Bear Bows

Old 02-08-2007, 04:52 PM
Typical Buck

Default Fred Bear Bows

I bought a Fred Bear Element this year for $300 with nothing on it, but a little over $400 after all the stuff I put on It. I have been happy with it so far, especially for the money. Ive shot the Mathews Switch Back and I personally could't tell a huge difference, not enough to spend over $700 for anyways. Killed a nice buck and a turkey with it this year so I know it can do its job. I was thinking about tradeing it in for a Fred Bear Instinct or Code and was wondering if anyone has ever shot any of these bows and if its worth it?
Old 02-08-2007, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Fred Bear Bows

I bought an Element his year also and love it. I shot the Instinct and the Code at the time and chose the Element because I couldnt tell any significant between the three, and the Element was in my price range. I would not spend the money on any other bow because I cant imagine the value being any better. I will upgrade some of the accesories this year though because I bought a package deal throughCabelas.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:54 PM
Typical Buck

Iuse an Instinct and really like it. I did shoot the Code and the Truth bows as well. They're all really nice. I didn't look at the Element because of the plastic limb pockets. I don't if it matters or not but that's why I chose the Instinct.

Unless you have money burnin' a hole in your pocket, I'd stick with your Element for another year. As you said, it works!
Old 02-08-2007, 08:43 PM
Typical Buck

i got the element this year, late in the season. all set up with all the needed accessories anda few that i didnt need for $470. i love it to death. this is the first bow ive bought myself, the bow i was using previously was an old PSE. this bow is so much more consistent, quiet, quick, etc. im with doubled 150 on this one, unless you got the extra cash layin around, i see no reason to upgrade. i didnt shoot those other bows, but i cant imagine there being enough of a difference to justify the extra money. most of todays new bows should all shoot very well if they are set up and tuned correctly, and if you have proper form.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:29 PM

I own the "Truth" and I think it is a great bow. When I bought the Bear, I also shot the Hoyt Trykon, Vectrix and Mathews XT and I thought they didn't shoot any better than the Bear. As for as the Code and Instinct I shot both of them also and I thought they shot better than the Element, but if the Element works for you, then why upgrade. My brother-n-law has the Instinct and he love it.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:17 PM

Well i have the Fred bear Element also i just got it and my cousin just got the instinct and i personally dont think its that much better the only difference is it smaller and a little less vibrationbut other then that the element is fine with me
Old 02-23-2007, 03:13 PM

Another happy Element owner here. Took a nice doe and several armadillos this past season, which was my first archery season in about 20 years. Even popped one squirrel, but it took two shots to do it. Very smooth and quiet. One day my dad was standing about 20 yards away while I was practicing. He said that when he watched the target he never knew I'd shot until the arrow hit. Good bow!
Old 02-25-2007, 04:33 PM

I got my 14 year old son an Element this year. I can shoot it as well as my $800 Hoyt. Comparing it to the higher end Fred Bear bows, like the instinct . . . if you put a limbsaver ultra in the split limb and a compact S-coilstabilizer on the Element, there isno discernable difference. Best bow for the money to come along so far, IMO.