Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Forgiving Models of Bows? >

Forgiving Models of Bows?

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Forgiving Models of Bows?

Old 01-17-2007, 08:35 AM
Spike

Default Forgiving Models of Bows?

Hi folks, I'm going to be in the market for a new bow in the next couple of months (left hand bow). I'm looking to see if you guys can give me your opinions on some of the more forgiving bows. I'm not stuck on any one brand and am willing to try any of them. I'll shoot several but thought I could narrow down my choices by starting with the ones that you all suggest.

Thanks
Old 01-17-2007, 08:52 AM

Default RE: Forgiving Models of Bows?

What do you mean by forgiving? Any bow will shoot accurately if the shooter is competent. Any bow will shoot poorly if the shooter does not use good form, rushed shots, etc... Do you mean forgiving in regards to having a good/high let-off?
Old 01-17-2007, 09:03 AM
Typical Buck

Look for a bow with a larger brace height, the larger the brace height the shorter time your arrow is on the string. Conversely there is less time to flinch,pull etc. There was a time when that meant giving up speed but with todays technology its not much of a factor
Old 01-17-2007, 10:06 AM
Spike

Thanks, Matt. I'll keep that in mind and do a little research on what models the different manufacturers are producing with higher brace heights

To Red Lion: By forgiving I mean: Are there specific models that any one hear feels are easier to shoot or more accurate based on the actual characteristics of the equipment than others? Assuming shooter is competent to clarify.

Old 01-17-2007, 11:07 AM

...at least a 7 1/2" brace height and an ATA near 40" is what most of the good 3Ders shoot. Shorter ATA bows have gotten much better over the past couple years but I still feel more accurate with a longer ATA bow myself. Just my $.02
Old 01-17-2007, 12:35 PM

In general forgiving is long ATA length, large brace height (deflex riser), and soft cam design. All of these three things seem to be the antithesis of what manufacturerers are going for these days. Everyone wants a short, light, easy to wield scream machine with lots of let-off and insane kinetic energy. The two designs are at opposite ends from each other and you'll need to choose something somewhere in between. Where in between is up to your preferences and uses.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:41 PM

I shoot a Mathews Switchback LD. This bow has a 9"
brace height and still shoots plenty fast. This is one
sweet shooting tack driver.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:42 PM
Spike

Thanks Everyone.

I took your advice and went down to my local shop this evening. Walked out with a used, but in VERY GOOD CONDITION, Matthews LX. The bow belonged to one of the guys who work in the shop and he was getting rid of it because he was replacing it with a new Switchback. This is one nice piece of machinery. It is quite forgiving enough, quick and quiet. The first few shots produced a very respectable group. Thanks again to all for taking the time to reply!