Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Choice of Broadheads........ >

Choice of Broadheads........

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Choice of Broadheads........

Old 12-31-2006, 11:24 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Choice of Broadheads........

G5 Montecs are great but I tried Slick Tricks this fall and they are nothing but awesome. Awesome flight, very stout, and super deadly. I shot my buck this year and it looked like a bullet blew thru him.

Broadhead choice is really just matter of personal choice. They will all do the trick if you put them in the right spot. I have like the way the Tricks shoot.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:27 PM
Typical Buck

Slick Tricks
Old 01-01-2007, 11:15 AM

Have to go with the Muzzy's. Tried the Slick Trick's and found them to be adequate but no better than the Muzzy 100 gr I've used for years. Slick trick's were no sharper and the increased angle of the blades, IMO, reduced the penetration.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:09 PM
Typical Buck

Slick Tricks.

Made a bad shot on my doe this year (high shoulder) and it penetrated through the shoulder bone and still punctured the lung. The deer spun around like it was hit with a lead baseball. Flew same as my field points.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:56 PM

This will always be a on going debate but I like expandables and have never lost any game because of the broadhead choice....I have been using the Grim Reaper 100gr. expandables for going on 4 years and have had nothing but great experiences w/ them....
Old 01-03-2007, 07:11 PM

Yuck to mechanicals. Nothing bleeds like cut on contact broadheads. Go with a WASP and you won't be sorry.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

I'm gunna try rage because they are #1 cut on impact,#2 rear deploying,#3 large cutting diameter. It seems that in almost all tests,rear deploying blades are (marginally-lots) better penetrating than "fold back" expandables. Just reading tests yall,don't beat me up yet. That said,I have been using rocket aeroheads hammerhead 3L since the supply of anderson 245 mags dried up with excellent results. I'm kinda an equipment geek so I gotta try everything out there. That way I can formulate a educated opinion based on first hand experience.
Ditto. I use the 2-blade Rage. Here's what it did to my doe.

Old 01-06-2007, 05:46 PM

Stalking bear, There are FAR better broadheads than the Rage. They are extremely fragile (one shot broadheads). They are very difficult to assemble with a minimum of9 assembly parts per broadhead (3 blade). It is about impossible to get all 8 parts balanced for accurate shooting.I know they have some great advertising and gimmicks, but they are just that. When they work, they work great......but.

Slick Tricks have worked the best for me. I have killed a truckload of deer with them and a bunch of elk as well. Great broadheads, other than the poor edge on them, which is an easy fix.

I will have my own line of broadheads on the market in the next couple of weeks that addressthe weeknesses of many current broadheads on the market. How does a titanium body with four fixed blades thatcut a1.5" hole through critters sound? Oh, and they also have the accuracy offield points Flinch
Old 01-06-2007, 07:13 PM

Another vote for Slick Tricks but I am interested in what your new head will do . Keep us posted
Old 01-07-2007, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kvD9b4

Stalking bear, There are FAR better broadheads than the Rage. They are extremely fragile (one shot broadheads). They are very difficult to assemble with a minimum of 9 assembly parts per broadhead (3 blade). It is about impossible to get all 8 parts balanced for accurate shooting. I know they have some great advertising and gimmicks, but they are just that. When they work, they work great......but.

Slick Tricks have worked the best for me. I have killed a truckload of deer with them and a bunch of elk as well. Great broadheads, other than the poor edge on them, which is an easy fix.

I will have my own line of broadheads on the market in the next couple of weeks that address the weeknesses of many current broadheads on the market. How does a titanium body with four fixed blades that cut a 1.5" hole through critters sound? Oh, and they also have the accuracy of field points Flinch
All of the broadheads on the market work and can bring down deer. To say the Rager are "extremely fragile" is just false. I have shot he doe and a coyote with the same rage broadhead and arrow, both complete pass-thru's. (2 blade Rage)

Are the blades on that broadhead dull now, you betcha. Should they be, in my opinion, yes. Not only have they passed thru 2 animals but it has also stuck in the ground twice.

Are the blades bent, absolutely not. They blades slide right back into position.

I can't make an arguement for assembly because I have not taken the 2 blade apart, didn't need to. Was able to clean it after both kills with warm soapy water, an old toothbrush and a toothpick to dig out flesh and hair. Took less than minutes.

As soon as I order new blades, I'll post about assembly and disassembly.

There is nothing about the Rage broadheads that are any more gimmicky than your "titanium body with four fixed blades that cut a 1.5" hole through critters" creation. I would put the 2 blade rage (which as a full 2" cut) up against them any day.

Now I will also say this, are the Rage broadheads the best on the market? Who is to say? That's like saying Hoyt, or Mathews, or PSE, etc makes the best bow on he market. Everyone has their preferences and conforts.

I happen to like huge gaping holes cut by broadheads and the Rage does that. So for me, it is the perfect broadhead and is the best for ME.

Quick Reply: Choice of Broadheads........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.