Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

HIT any better?

Old 10-10-2006, 11:37 AM

Default HIT any better?

Has anyone using the new Hidden Insert Technology really seen any better broadhead alignment as they claim? I think it's actually worse in the A/C SuperSlims and Beman Max-4's that I've dealt with. Beside that, you can't readjust the insert once you've installed it with epoxy, and I don't dare try to put one of those inserts way down in a carbon shaft with hot melt. The only option I've found is to keep trying different heads until you stumble over a broadhead/arrow combination that balances. With a standard insert and hot melt, at least you've got the option of tweaking the insert to get a head to balance properly.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: HIT any better?

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

Has anyone using the new Hidden Insert Technology really seen any better broadhead alignment as they claim? I think it's actually worse in the A/C SuperSlims and Beman Max-4's that I've dealt with. Beside that, you can't readjust the insert once you've installed it with epoxy, and I don't dare try to put one of those inserts way down in a carbon shaft with hot melt. The only option I've found is to keep trying different heads until you stumble over a broadhead/arrow combination that balances. With a standard insert and hot melt, at least you've got the option of tweaking the insert to get a head to balance properly.
Actually it works pretty good IMHO.A lot of our customers bought the Axis shaftswhile the Gold Tips were on national backorder so I set up many of these for people. I will normally cut 1.5" from the back of the shaft and then the rest of what is needed from the front, and then glue in the inserts using the supplied glue and tool. After this is done and they are fletched, I will usethe stone that is provided and then grind the front of the shaft so that it is completely perpendicular to the inside wall of the shaft. This stone works exactly like a G5 ASD. Pick a particular broadhead for that shaft and grind then spin and repeat as necessary until it is 100% true and if you are patient I will usually get all 12 shafts in a dozen to spin true on the front end.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:43 PM

Default RE: HIT any better?

I've always done the initial chamfering of the end using the stone but hadn't thought to rechamfer the end in order to get broadhead alignment. Good thinkin' Rick! My next step was going to be to turn the ends on the lathe but what a PITA that would be to set up a dozen times, and it still would only make it true to the outside of the shaft and not ensure alignment with the insert.