Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Rage 2 blade- Durability Questions >

Rage 2 blade- Durability Questions

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Rage 2 blade- Durability Questions

Old 09-13-2006, 05:44 PM

Default Rage 2 blade- Durability Questions

I had the opportunity to take two doeson SaturdayandTuesdaywith the new Rage 2 blade and was extremely disappointed in the durability of this head. The first doe was a complete slight quartering away pass through and she went about 60 yards and piled up. The entrance and exit wound was amazing with a tremendous blood trail. However, when I retrieved the arrow which was laying on(not sticking in) the ground, I noticed the broadhead was bent. I unscrewed the head and saw that the threaded end of the shaft was severely bent and unusable. I also noticed that the head had flared out the end of my axis arrow, thus rendering it useless as well.

I considered this a fluke and decided to use another Rage on my hunt last night. The 2nd doe was also quartering away, but this time I didn't get a passthrough. However, the arrow went in a came back the entrance hole. Once again the entrance hole was awesome, but with the same result-- a bent shaft on the head and a flared out axis arrow. I am very happy withtheeffectsof the head on whitetails, butat$39/3 heads and two destroyed arrows and broadheads---My old slicktricks are looking better and better!

[/align]
Old 09-13-2006, 06:00 PM

Default RE: Rage 2 blade- Durability Questions

Interesting results...guess the new and improved Slick Tricks will look even better. Seriously, I shot them through telephone books, dura-rock and 3/4 inch ply....did not hurt any of them. Plus, new blades are extra sharp and the usual field point accuracy. We open on the 23rd...can't wait to unleash the fury. Good luck the rest of the season.

Red
Old 09-13-2006, 06:20 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the review!! Go with your fixed blades!

TP
Old 09-14-2006, 07:26 AM
Typical Buck

thanks for the heads up i hope you problem was a fluke
Old 09-14-2006, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I plan to use them this year and I am glad to hear that they created the hole you mentioned. I personally don't really care if they destroy the head as long as there is a huge hole in whatever it went through on both sides, to me that is worth the money spent on the head.

The owner of the shop I work for took a hog with a rage 2 blade and hit that hog right in the shield with it and it cut a HUGE hole in both sides and held up fine so it may be freak accident,I am not sure. Almost anyfixed blade head is going to be more rugged by design than a mechanical though soif you don't want to everhave a chance of a damaged head go with an all steel design fixed blade head like the slick tricks, ultimate steels,etc.Also, how well glued in were the HIT inserts on your axis arrows? I have seen these come unglued like this and then destroy the arrow like you speak of.........we don't use the factory supplied epoxy we use goat tuff and have better results with that.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:37 PM

there is something devently wrong w/ this head/the rage 2 blade.I also shota deer w/ this head this past weekend (an 80 pound doe)the head hit behind the shoulder(she was slightly quatering away)it bounced off opposite shoulder w/ an 70 pound bow,no exit @25 yards (edited by Rob/PA Bowyer)!!!.When I recovered my arrow the rages threaded shaft was bent.I bought extra blades,looks like I want be using them because the head is trash now.Durability sucks.I want my 40 bucks back.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: blood

I also shota deer w/ this head this past weekend (an 80 pound doe)the head hit behind the shoulder(she was slightly quatering away)it bounced off opposite shoulder w/ an 70 pound bow,no exit @25 yards wtf.
One instance does not make a novel. I passed through a bull elk at 30 yards with Muzzy broadheads, same head, new blades it failed to pass through a doe at 20 yards. There are so much that regulate penetration on animals. You can't jump to conclusions on your one shot.

The bending is another issue, I wanted to touch on penetration.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Interesting 2 people with a single post slamming Rage broadheads, that's weird?

I've shot 4 bucks with Rocky Mountain Snypers, the broadhead I believe Rage heads mimic'd. One of 4 bent, the other 3 were reusable with new blades. I like the broadhead very much. I used it on 5 shots recommendation on his review matching them up against Muzzy's. I've also had Muzzy shafts bend. I still love Muzzy's.

Old 09-14-2006, 08:55 PM

Hey Rob,

What's so wierd about someone finding this site and deciding to post an event that occured opening weekend of our deer season? I don't have any reason to slam Rage. I was excited to use these broadheads and was disappointed in the durability of two heads that were used to harvest two does. I posted this to find out if anyone else had experienced any issues with this head. It appears to me, that you are the one that is "wierd" by questioning the knowledge of a fellow bowhunter whom you have never met. Don't be soquick to jump on a conspiracy bandwagon just because a "fawn" had a bad experience with a new piece of equipment. By the way, I have been bowhunting for 20 years and I know enough to be dangerous but by no means an expert like yourself.
Good Day,Sir!

[/align]
Old 09-15-2006, 06:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

sogabuck, did I quote you, and yes, I am weird. I appreciated your thread, I made a observation, is that okay? I love the hole the RM Snyper puts in an animal, the Rage is a similiar broadhead. I haven't had the same results. Also, The Axis arrows have great technology with the HIT however, that is a week spot without having the insert out to the tip to strengthen the ends. I would wonder if many Axis users will have similiar results with many broadheads on the market. See, from your thread, brings up more interesting questions, it was the second reply and the edit I had to do that caught my concern. Good Day to you too sir.