Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Summit Bushmaster?

Old 09-02-2006, 09:20 AM

Default Summit Bushmaster?

hey guys,
im interested in buying the summit bushmaster for this upcoming season. i like how light it is and i have always heard very good things about summit stands. i am just wondering if i should spend the extra money for a stand with a arm rest that goes all the way around the stand for added comfort but more importantly safety. if anyone could give me some feedback on the bushmaster i would greatly appreciate it!
Old 09-02-2006, 10:54 AM

Default RE: Summit Bushmaster?

i love my summit viper. just ordered a summit razor ss. it has no front bar like the bushmaster - but the most important thing is it has the comfy seat, unlike the bushmaster. i haven't sat in a bushmaster so i'm just guessing here - but from the looks of it i'd guess that about 1.5 hours is all i could take in a seat like that. looks similar to some hang-on stand seats i've used that just killed my back.
Old 09-02-2006, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have to agree with Gibblet about this. The Viper is one with the bar the whole way around. Some worry about shooting over the bar and I do feel that it may indded cost me a shot one day, but the pro's far outweigh the cons on this. The bar makes the stand a sit-and-climb which is easier on the shoulders and makes the foot portion more manageable when climbing, meaning safer and more quiet.

When sitting I lay my bow right across the bar in front of me, meaning less movement to get my weapon as I stand for a shot. When standing I hang the bow on a hook. Also while standing I often have a knee against the bar as a Kind of reference for where I am on the stand and on windy days it gives a little more stability in that I'm moving with the stand instead of "who knows where".

For bow hunting I shorten the straps on the seat making it higher so there is less interference from the bar. For rifle hunting the seat can be lowered and use it as a sort of rifle or arm rest for shooting.

I've used a lot of stands over the years, most with an open front. They are a couple pounds lighter as a rule and maybe a little more convenient to shoot out of, but not near as comfortable after a couple of hours. And let's face it. You get uncomfortable and start fidgeting, meaning movement---you'll get busted. The other point is that soon you'll be on the ground back at your vehicle or camp, and you can't shoot that deer passing by if you aren't in the stand. The arm rests of the Viper make it more comfy, too. I've spent as mch as 12 hours a day in mine without feeling beat up when I get down. Tired? Yeh, 12 hours in anything isn't fun---even a recliner chair.

As for weight the Viper runs about 20#. The Bushmaster weighs about 17#. And if someday you get the itch to NOT have that bar in the front you can always take a hacksaw to it.

The stands themselves have the same base (foot portion). Only the seat is different. About as stable as you can find. In fact, I even ground the teeth down a little as they bit too deep into some tulip and poplar trees I climb and I couldn't get it loose. The other side of this coin is it's nice knowing that if you shift your weight the stand isn't going anywhere.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:40 PM
Fork Horn

I got the Bushmaster a few years ago and didn't like it at first. Last year I got a Viper. It was the last one in the store and was an open box. I found I was missing some pads, documentationand the CD. Wasn't sure what I else I might bemissing. I called the store, they called Summit and Summit promptly sent out the whole bag of stuff that comes with a Viper.

I really liked the way climbing stirrups worked on the Viper. Since I had an extra set that came with the bag of goodies I put those stirrups on the Bushmaster. Made a world of difference. Much easier to climb now.
The Bushmaster seat is very comfy and so is the Viper. The Bushmaster packs a bit easier than the Viper. I like the rail on the Viper for gun hunting and like having no rail for bowhunting.

Be sure to check out the stirrups. They make things much easier.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:18 PM

Well i just bought the Open shot, Now i got that stand because its only 14 pounds!!!!
And im not that big of a person (body wise) im like a tooth pick tall and skiny. And where i hunt i have to walk like some times 20 minutes or better. And my old climber weighin in at 27 pounds just killed me. So i got this one and i cant wait to give it a try saturday!!
Has anyone used this stand at all?