Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Broadhead Thought

Old 04-23-2006, 09:31 AM

Default Broadhead Thought

I was just reading one of the Broadhead "drama" threads that always seem to be around, and it got me thinking. It seems funny that everyone thinks so highly of one and hates another. Seems almost rediculous when you consider people used to sharpen a rock, put it on the end of a stick and hunt with it..

Just couldn't help thinking about it.
Old 04-23-2006, 04:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Broadhead Thought

Follow the money and things become clearerThere are also heads that don't hold up to their end of the bargin. After all the work put into just getting a shot off to have the head fail is very tough to live with.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:17 AM

I agree with nodog making a good shot on an animal and then not having your broadhead do its job leaves a mark, and the love comes from the broadhead that has yet to let the hunter down. I started shooting muzzys then had a few bad experiences and stopped shooting them, and now I am back shooting them. In between there is a span of about 4 years, so I am guilty of holding a grudge as well.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:21 AM

ORIGINAL: robinsok

Seems almost rediculous when you consider people used to sharpen a rock, put it on the end of a stick and hunt with it..

Just couldn't help thinking about it.
Yeah, but they weren't concerned about a quick, humane kill either. They were worried about eating. Times change...
Old 04-25-2006, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know of a head made today that won't get the job done. I think those who have fallen in love with one head probably have little or noe experience with any others.

Me? I've been using this stuff for well over 30 years and I don't love any of it. BOws, sights, broadheads. The whole works. They're just things. And I can get lots of "things". I've shot a lot of heads from the old Bear Razorheads, Muzzy, InnerLoc, Cabela's Magnums, Wasp SST's, Razorback 5's. They all do the job when put in the right place.

I do think the current trend in the short stubby blades is a good one. It makes tuning easier and gives less wind planing. But this isn't"A" broadhead. It's a type of broadhead design.

Notice I didn't mention mechanicals? There are several reasons. One is that I shoot light weight bows and arrows. Another is that I'm a stickler for tuning and always get them flying with my target tips---always. That's what I do. Tinker till it's right. Time and effort is not an object.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well I know a guy who claims a head was the reason he lost a special deer and has pretty much devoted his archery life to testing and designing one. He still seems bitter over it and has also been bow hunting since at least the 70's. He just failed the rocket miniblaster expandable head. He does put them through some crazy tests.

You can find most of his test here:

http://btreviews.proboards57.com/index.cgi#general

On a personal note I was with my brother last year and I would blame a problem he hadwith a big 8 on the head he used. A great vital zone shot that headed south through the gut. We found the deer but lost the meat.

I like to tinker myself but have a differnt idea of what is right.