Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Digital Scouting Camera

Old 03-20-2006, 01:26 PM

Default Digital Scouting Camera

I am interested in purchasing a digital scouting camera and i was wondering which camera would would be the best for a $200 budget. I heard some good and bad things about moultrie but they have one i saw for 100 bucks? What are the bad things with a moultrie?
Old 03-20-2006, 08:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Digital Scouting Camera

I've reviewed the original Moultrie 100 and am currently testing the new Moultrie 200.

The bad in short form:
I don't like the 6 volt batteries and the low battery life. I'm going to give a rechargeable battery a try soon.
The power up time is the worst of the twelve digital scouting cameras I have tested. They both made me walk past them twice before taking a picture.
Method of attaching it to a tree or locking it is poor.
There is no LCD to view pictures.

You can take a look at the entire review at the website below.

Old 03-22-2006, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Added to what Snoogsdad said--on the GameSpy 200 you also have to open the camera to turn ON/OFF--I would much rather a switch on the outside. It's also not the best for mounting and the holes on the corners of the camera boxare quite small for the master cable lock.
These are some of the things Moultrie should address on their new cameras.
Rechargeable battery, (PowerStar) works alot better in them however.
Nevertheless for the price, the camera works 'reasonably well'.
The pictures are good, on the odd occasion you'll get pictures almost snowed out as well as other times the picture will appear to have been cut in half and not joined together correctly. This I think is caused by the shutter speed. Mine has been out in minus 15 degree C temperature and the 6 volt battery held up and the pictures were good.
For the price--it's not bad---I would much rather have one of these ripped off--compared to having a CuddeBack or the New MAD camera stolen.

Old 03-22-2006, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the Moultrie rechargeables and they work well. The problem I have with the camera is it missing pictures. I set it up on the same tree as my homebrew and the HB had a dozen pics while the moultrie had only 1. I read somewhere that people were having the same problem so they put the camera about 20 inches from the ground and that solved. So I tried that but haven't had a chance to recheck it yet.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:07 AM

for a $200 budget I would go with a Stealth cam 2megapixle, response times are fast and it also has a built in LCD screen on the inside so you can fiew your photo in the field. www.Bowhuntgear.com is where i got mine at, very good price, customer service and fast shipping.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would have to agree with Boris87...From everything that I have read, the steath cams are pretty good for the price!
Old 04-28-2006, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

For $200 I don't think the Moultrie 200 can be beat.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:51 PM
Fork Horn

I've been trying to test my Moultrie 200 for two months and I can't get it to take any pictures after the first day that I put it out and it hasn't taken a picture at night yet. I'm about to throw it over the hill.

I re-read the directions today and ran the diagnostic and it says all is OK.

This has been one very frustrating camera to test.