Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

scent blocker

Old 04-18-2006, 11:20 AM
jkb

Default RE: scent blocker

Try Bio Block you wont put a smell out for days.It works
Old 04-18-2006, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

A whitetail is said to be able to smell human scent down to 10 parts per million (I've heard). If this is true, then show me the test data that backs up the claims that carbon suit manufacturers are making (forget the wind and hunt). Do these guys even hunt?
Old 04-18-2006, 01:31 PM

I use total scent control for whtetails and I believe it works well but it didn't work on brown bears. I went through the full routine of washing gear and myself in scent control soap, bagged the gear up in scent eliminated airtight river bag, wore the full suit including rubber boots and sprayed everything down before heading out. While on stand I watched a large boar skirting the edge of the swamp toward my stand. When he hit my 6 hour old trail where I walked in to my stand, he freaked out and almost tripped over himself to get out of there. I'm not so sold on the stuff any more. Of course, a deer doesn't have near the nose of a bear...
Old 04-18-2006, 09:05 PM

I LOVE my dream season scentblocker jacket. Thin yet it his very warm. Just love the feel to it!
Old 04-25-2006, 04:40 PM
Fork Horn

Let me put it this way. Last year i bought all the scent lock clothing and scent free stuff after i kept on having deer wind me. After i got it i had does 10 yards in front of me with the wind blowing my scent right at them and they never knew i was there.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:50 PM

I would tend to agree with Bearbuster. Scentlock has been doing just scentblocking suits for close to 15 years, while robinson labs has had their hands in different anti scent products. I truly believe that if you take the proper steps in maintaining your suit, use all the soaps and shampoos, use carbon spray, and get high enough in a tree you can be nearly oderless. Also i would have to say that a scentlock head cover and gloves would be the two most important pieces of a scentlock suit.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:18 AM

Its a great buy if ur dedicated to the sport
NO, dedication has nothing to do with it,i dont think Fred Bear wore any scent loc and he did just fine
Old 04-26-2006, 01:55 PM

I have found that scent shield works best for me, i use there travel kit and i have not had much problems with deer winding me. i get mine from www.bowhuntgear.com they tend to have better prices.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:24 PM
Dominant Buck

I have two brand new , still in the package Army MOPP suits , which is what all carbon based scent elimination systems are based on . They have twice the carbon of any commercial suit , and the carbon is unbonded so there isat least double theavailable surface area for it to adsorb odors . I have used MOPP suits for the last 5 years under varying conditions including being upwind of deer , with and without cover scent , with and without scent eliminator sprays . I've sat under cover and out in the open and guaged the reactions of the deer . My conclusions ? Yes , they do work temprorarily because carbon adsorbs odors , but once the carbon clogs nothing you can do at home will clear it's poresno matter what you've been told .

Do they work permanently as the maufacturers of the commercial suits claim ? No , carbon inevitably clogs and becomes useless , ask anyone who owns an aquarium utilizing an activatedcarbon filter since the process is the same. In an aquarium the carbon adsorbs ammonia , among other wastes , but must be changed frequently or the fish will sicken and die . Ammonia has a powerful scent , and the aquarium owner can readily smell it in the carbon after only a few weeks . It is not scientifically possible to reactivate or "regenerate" carbon under home conditions , the process requires extremely high heat and specialized equipment , and your 200 degree oxygen rich home dryer just won't do it . Anyone telling you differently is either trying to sell you a suit orparroting whatsomeone who sold them one told them. There is no shortage of info on the web about activated carbon and what it can and cannot do , including lab testing of scent reduction systems , look them up for yourself and then draw your own conclusions .

Earlier I said that I havetwo of those suits left , and I got them at a steal of a clearance price , so if you'd like to have them to try for yourself shoot me a PM or meet me in chatand we'll discuss it . If you decide to try them I'll send them to you for the price I paid , $17.70+ shipping ,and you can see for yourself before splurging on those overpriced commercial suits . Pretreat them as you would one of the commercial suits using their reccomended pretreatment products if you wish . The worst you'll lose is $17.70 + shipping . The suits are in a Woodland pattern , which never seemed to phase the deer , but they can be covered by light camo in your preferred pattern or you can just use natural cover or a blind .
Old 04-26-2006, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

And the argument continues!!!! One point I would like to make. I get winded all the time here in Iowa and the deer (does and small bucks) act completely different then they do in pressured states like Michigan. Often times they just lift they're head and go about they're business (just not that affraid of human scent).

With that being said, Mature bucks are a different story. Most guys don't even have the chance to chase 4-1/2 or older deer. If you haven't, then try to tell me that you had a "big buck straight down wind at 10 yards without winding me". If you claim to have had this experience, you probably were sitting in a thermal and the wind wasn't doing what you thought it was. This is one of the most understood "things" in-regard to wind (I'm still trying to figure it out).

A couple of my hunting buddies have killed a serious number of monster bucks (20+ bookers, multiple booners, ect....). They don't get paid to wear it, and tell it straight. Hunt the wind, because you stand a chance at fooling a mature bucks nose!

Quick Reply: scent blocker

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.