Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Backtension release for hunting >

Backtension release for hunting

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Backtension release for hunting

Old 12-28-2005, 09:11 AM
Fork Horn

Default Backtension release for hunting

I have been curious about the back tension release and if it is a good thing to bring in the woods. Just wondering if it would be as good at the range as it would be adding it to my hunting setup. I have no experience with these and currently shoot a True Ball Tornado. Any info would be appreciated.

~Jeff
Old 12-29-2005, 08:58 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Backtension release for hunting

A back tension will improve your archery shooting skills and confidence more than you can imagine. They take patience to learn though, maybe 2 or 3 months of consistent shooting to really develope the technique and burn it into your brain; and even then, you'll still improve every year as long as you stay with it. If you can, learn from a really good target shooter at a local pro shop. No matter how discouraged you get, and how much your trigger release punching buddies laugh at you, when you learn back tension, you'll smoke 'em.

As far as hunting goes, I carry mine as a back up, that's all. As much as punching a release is discouraged, not to mention bad for you mentally as far as archery goes, there are times in the woods when you'll need to punch that trigger. There are also times when you'll have the few extra seconds to squeeze a perfect shot. I prefer a trigger for hunting, back tension for year round practice and target shooting. A month before hunting season, I get my hunting release out, and sight in my broadheads with it.It only takes about an hour or so and shooting the Bt release all year 'round makes shooting a trigger a breeze.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

i would not recommend using it for hunting but thats just my opinion...
Old 12-30-2005, 01:58 PM
Fork Horn

I had a feeling it would not work considering the time frame it would take for the release and the smaller shot windows you may have in a real life hunting situation. Thanks for the replies. ~Jeff
Old 12-30-2005, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

A decent compromise may be a good pinky fired release or thumb trigger release.I dealt with a bad case of target panic a few years back and went to pure back tension for spots and 3d and hunting.I have transitioned into using a pinky fired release for everything and am very satisfied.I am still using back tension to fire it when hunting and if I need to get it to fire quickly I can get it to.I have taken several animals with it with no problem and have not lost an opportunity because I didn't have an index finger triggered release.
The release I use is a truball pinky extreme.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:46 AM

you could try to use back tension with your current release. I have a trigger release and and have learned to shoot with back tension, works pretty well for me. JUst a thought
Old 12-31-2005, 06:31 AM

i've been working on bt for 7 months now. i've just now isolated my rhomboid and its the only thing activating the shot. my teacher said 10 months of work is what it will take. your shooting will go to crud. you'll have your moments, but it will markedly decline. i would not suggest trying without a teacher. i'm not sure where you are, but larry wise offers classes in penn. and in various places around the country.

on my last hunting trip of the season my 2 finger pure bt release is what i took in the tree with me. for whatever reason i can't shoot my thumb trigger anymore. its a 4 finger and feels like a giant pair of brass knuckles in my hand, and within 20 minutes i'm drive by shooting. hopefully by next year i'll have the bt so ingrained it won't be an issue, but if it is i'm going to a pinky or index release (for hunting).

on a side note of the 12 people i was in bt school with, with larry wise, i'm the only one left still standing. no one else could take the drop in scores. however, its starting to come together and i believe i have something in store for them this spring.
Old 12-31-2005, 06:59 AM

i use a back-tension release for target&hunting. it is a HHA LP-1 that has NO trigger. it is a 3finger release with a THUMB safety. it works with a D-LOOP and you hook the d-loop invert you're hand and pull back. you come to full anchor and settle in. then you squeeze the thumb safety all the way down and hold it. you concentrait on you're spot to shoot and squeeze you're shouldre blades together using BACKtension! it DOES take some getting used to though. but i have a problem with PANIC and this release works great for me. hunting or target. good luck! silentsam
Old 01-03-2006, 07:39 AM

Personally, I think you should shootwhatever is the most comfortable to you and whatever gives you the most confidence. I shoot a Carter Target 4 for target and to hunt with. I have to admit that it took a while to get used to after shooting a Winn Free Flight for over 10 years but I'm glad I made the change and would never look back.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:01 PM

I dont guess I have to worry about it because I don't know what yall are talking about

Quick Reply: Backtension release for hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.