Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Release and a Target

Old 12-22-2005, 11:55 AM

Default Release and a Target

Sorry if this has been posted before i didn't see it if it has been..

I get my first bow on christmas, just a couple days i can't wait!!

Its a PSE Super G combo, and now i need a release and some sort of target to practice with. What do you guys like for both of the two. I looked at the block targets and they look great but they are a little high. I could buy one if everyone thinks they are worth it, but i wanted to know if there is a better buy out there.

I also need a release, and i wanted to ask first because i don't want to have to go buy another one later because i bought something that wont do what i need. I also would like to avoid spending a fortune because i just got done buying christmas presents myself.

Thanks for the advice.

Kyle
Old 12-22-2005, 01:06 PM

Default RE: Release and a Target

Well for field points I use just a bag type. they cost like 30.00. For broadheads I will use my block. If you are just going to practice with fieldpoints buy a bag type. Now for realeases I like my fletchmaster. I know old school but they work nicely. You attach them to your string with no loops and are very easy to use.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:15 PM

I'm heading to Sportsman Warehouse tomorrow to pick up 2 Morrell targets...1 Broadhead (Yellow Jacket).....$40.00.....and 1 Field Point Bag target...$32.00. Walmart also sells Morrell targets but not the one near me. I shoot a Tru Ball release...Scott makes some good ones as well. If you have a Cabelas/BassPro/Sportsman Warehouse, or archery Pro Shopnear you you can try out different models. Morrell makes some great targets at fair prices. A top of the line Broadhead target is made by Reinhart...I think it's $100.00.
Old 12-25-2005, 01:32 PM
Fork Horn

I use a black hole target and it works great. If you are going to use it for broadheads,I would recommend the new "Block" on the market.

As for as releases go, I would recommend Scott. I have owned TruBall, Cobra, and Scott. The TruBall wasn't bad, the Cobra was junk IMO. I have been using a Scott for over 5 years now and would recommend it to anyone. They are a little more expensive but I think the extra $15-20 isworth it if you are going to use it for 5-10 years.

Good luck and happy hunting!!!
Old 12-25-2005, 03:05 PM

Stay away from both the Block, for broadheads,and the Black Hole. The Block works great for field tips, but broadheads chews it up, not to mention it gets messy. Gut Check's post was the only thing positive I have heard about the Black Hole. I heard field tips would chew that target up in a matter of weeks.

I use a Morrel's bag target for field tipsand love it.

I use the Morrel Yellow Jacket for broadheads. The Yellow Jacket is the best broadhead target I have ever used.