Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Release for solving target panic? >

Release for solving target panic?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Release for solving target panic?

Old 03-25-2008, 07:06 PM

Default Release for solving target panic?

I have target panic and I have it bad. I used to shoot 4-5 arrows at 20 yards and have them all touching. Now...yeah right. Heres my problem. I'm a drive by shooter. My pin will cross the target dot and my finger (uncontrollably) pulls the trigger. Its like my finger and eye are hard-wired together so when I see my pin on or near the dot...the arrow is already on the way. I can't hold my pin on the dot with intentions of shooting. I pull the trigger prematurely. When I aim with NO intentions of shooting (finger behind trigger) I can hold my pin on the dot all day.

I have your basic wrist strap release right now. Do you guys recommend another style release for curing this problem or can it be accomplished with my current release?

Any recommendations?
Old 03-25-2008, 07:17 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Release for solving target panic?

I have had some issues with tp or punching the release in the past. A couple of guys on here (TFOX being one of them) suggested blind bailing at short distances for a while. What I did was set up a big bag target in my basement so I could shoot all winter long. I would set up about 4-5 yards away, draw back, center the pin on the bag, and then close my eyes. I could then just focus on the execution of the shot, without the accuracy part getting in the way. I was amazed at how much is going on during the "release" process. Feeling the squeeze, the back muscles, not anticipating the shot, just actually feeling it go off. Try it. Shoot a bunch of arrows every day "blind" for a couple of weeks. It will definitely help.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

i second the notion. i had the exact same problem as you my friend except i had trained myself to keep my finger back and just jump it around and slap the trigger. this bad habit is a tuff one to break. i recommend the blind shooting as well it really helps. another thing i do, is i keep my finger on the side of my release but in front of my trigger so that when im ready i dont have to jump the trigger my finger is already close, but w/out the temptation of being on it and jumping the gun.
now what has helped me the most honestly. this is somewhat strange but i promise you it will work. i promise. shoot w/out your sight on. look through your peep adn focus on form. stare at the bullseye adn breath, fell youself relax, and when you feel completely relaxed, gently squeeze the trigger. when you shoot its supposed to be a suprise that anything even happened, and if you do this technique right thats what it will feel like. stand 5or6 yards away and do it for days. you will be broken and your mind will be disciplined. im telling you this out of complete experience btw. its not like its hunting season anyway and you can usually just slap your sight back on and it should be fine. good luck though as it is a tough habit to break.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Blind bail does help and as you have found out,aiming practice will show you how well you can REALLY hold when not worrying about shooting.Aiming practice is also good to use in unison with blind bale.

BUT,the dreaded b word is an absolute miracle worker at times.Do I need to say it?
Old 03-25-2008, 08:37 PM

Thanks guys. I have been planning on getting out and blind bailing but I also want to turkey hunt next month with my bow. I picked a good time to start trying to cure this bad habit.

BUT,the dreaded b word is an absolute miracle worker at times.Do I need to say it?
Back tension huh? I have always been intimidated by that style release but if it will help then I'll try one. Would you recommend one specifically for this problem? I'm not asking your personal favorite per say but one that is specific for TP. Or should I just buy one to my liking?

Thanks
Old 03-25-2008, 08:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

I can't shoot a wrist strap release to save my life. I punch, drive by, whatever you want to call it. I have it bad. With a BackTension release or a Thumb Trigger, I'm golden.

Here's my favorite BT release.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ducsauce

Thanks guys. I have been planning on getting out and blind bailing but I also want to turkey hunt next month with my bow. I picked a good time to start trying to cure this bad habit.[&:]

Back tension huh? I have always been intimidated by that style release but if it will help then I'll try one. Would you recommend one specifically for this problem? I'm not asking your personal favorite per say but one that is specific for TP. Or should I just buy one to my liking?

Thanks
I recommend CHEAP.[8D]

The cheapest/quality bt I have found is a tru ball ultra 3,only set you back about 60 bucks and will do a world of good.

http://www.truball.com/TRUTension.html
Old 03-25-2008, 08:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Look at the design of the one Matt posted and mine,almost identical. His is just heavy.That seems to be "in" right now.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree that the blind bailing helps, another couple of things you may do that will help is change the direction you settle in on the BULLSEYE on. If you usually swing a little to the left, then draw and start out to the LEFT of the bull, forcing you to swing RIGHT, the change is part of what helped me. Another issue I ran into is with my vision. If you don't have EXCELLENT 20/20 or better vision, a trip to the eye doctor may help remedy some of your problem as well. I am due for a new prescription myself, and I notice it significantly especially when TIRED. The old eyes just don't get focus very well!!! One of my biggest fears is that my eyes will fail me before my body and render me incapable of shooting a bow decently!!!
Old 03-25-2008, 09:17 PM

OHbow

I wear contacts so I'm good on the vision thing. Funny story, before I got contacts I shot at a stump with my 12 ga thinking it was the gobbler I had just called up. So yeah...I got that fixed quick.

TFOX, Matt

Heres one for you guys. Will a BT really help with the problem I have? So if I go BT, will I still have problems when my pin crosses the target dot? Also, the release that you suggested TFOX...I won't be using that with my string loop, correct? If I did, my DL would be long. If thats the case, I would like to have one that clips onto my D-loop.

Quick Reply: Release for solving target panic?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.