Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Hoyt Vtec or Reflex Timberwolf >

Hoyt Vtec or Reflex Timberwolf

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Hoyt Vtec or Reflex Timberwolf

Old 11-14-2005, 06:51 PM
Spike

Default Hoyt Vtec or Reflex Timberwolf

I'm looking at a couple of leftover bows and at this point it looks like I'm leaning towards the Reflex Timberwolf since it's $150 less than the Vtec. My question is... by going with the Timberwolf is there anything I'll be giving up performance wise? I'm not too concerned about looks or a machined riser vs a cast riser, however, if the Vtec is significantly faster or quieter that might change my mind. It's my understanding that they have the same cams so I'm assuming one is not any smoother than the other. Any feedback would be appreciated... I hope to pick up a new bow this week.

Thanks!!!
Old 11-15-2005, 02:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hoyt Vtec or Reflex Timberwolf

The Timberwolf has 1" draw length adjustments vs the Vtec's 1/2" adjustments. The Vtec has Hoyts laminated limbs, which are probably the very best limbs on the market. In fact they are more than likely the best limbs ever offerd. The timber wolf has solid fiberglass limbs, which are actually as good as most other companys limbs, but no where near as good as the laminated Hoyt designs. Speeds seem to run very close with the Vtec coming in around 4 to 5 fps faster on most of the actual chrono tests I have seen. I love my Vtec, but was actually thinking of picking up a timberwolf as a back up, it depends on what happens at the end of the season however.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:28 PM
Spike

5 shot - Thanks for the reply!!!
Old 11-19-2005, 03:11 PM

I'll bet that if you had the opportunity to shoot both side by side, you would notice little or no difference. You do know that Reflex is a subsidiery of Hoyt? I believe speed only counts at the range, or at shoots. Makes the bow more forgiving at the vsariety of distances you have to shoot.
In the field, makes far less difference than knowing your bow and equiptment and how it will shoot under different situations. Let's face it, every bow ever made has the potential to harvest game. But it's the shooter behind it that makes it great (or not so great).
I say, take the $150.00 savings and spend it on new arrows, broadheads, rest, case, or even a range finder.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:02 PM

u only buy once make youre self happy, take the best one!!!
Old 11-21-2005, 07:51 AM
Spike

Thanks for the replies! I went to my local archery shop over the weekend and pulled a 30" Timberwolf and was very surprised by how little of a valley there was. If I relaxed the slightest bit the bow was to jump forward and fire. I'm currently shooting an 80% letoff bow that has a good amount of valley so it was a weird feeling. Can anyone tell me if the valley on the Vtec would be any better or if it can be adjusted on the Timberwolf? Thanks!