Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 STS... Have you guys seen this?? >

STS... Have you guys seen this??

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

STS... Have you guys seen this??

Old 09-02-2005, 01:18 AM

Default STS... Have you guys seen this??

The STS or Shock Terminator Suppressor. I saw one of these today on a demo Switchback at a local sporting goods store. I thought it looked pretty wierd and was going to ask thearchery tech about it. I shoot an LX with no leeches or whiskers and no limb savers. I was asking the tech if any of those products would improve my bow and he suggested the STS. He said it made a world of difference and insisted that I shoot the Switchback they had set up..... I shot it and WOW! The string just stops dead. There is no extra movement except the good shot explosion that should occur. He asked if I wanted to try it on my bow and said that it only took about 2 mins to install. (you screw it into the hole at the rear of the stabilizer) I had him put it on my bow and again, WOW! My trusty LX now shoots like a whole different bow! While it was quiet before, it now makes a sound equivalent to a soft snap of the fingers. There is absolutely no extra string travel and no hand shock at all. My great bow just got even better! I only got to shoot a handful of shots with the STS installed but the difference was staggering. If you are having issues with noise, or hand shock or string travel, check this out. Even if you aren't, check it out anyhow. This thing just rocks!

A pic for those interested... You set the pad so it just touches your string.

This may not be great for everyone, but it worked awesome for me.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: STS... Have you guys seen this??

If you want to read much, much, MUCH more about the STS, go over to ArcheryTalk.com and it has been discussed enough to fill a Tom Clancy novel. I had mixed feelings about mine, in fact almost sold it. I hung in there, and found out that it worked better for me when it was NOT adjusted to hit closest to the center of the string, and I have to keep the limbsaver button about 1/8"away from the sting to avoid getting a "slap" sound when using it. Now I am pretty satisfied with it. You do have to experiment with it to see where it is going to work best. I still think it is odd that it seems to work best with Mathews or Bowtech VFT bows that are supposed to have very little noise and vibration to begin with.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:01 AM

A lot of folks have these on their bows (agreed about the Archery Talk threads - has got to be hundreds on the STS over there). Every time I think mine isn't doing much and take it off, I end up putting it right back on because it does make a difference. I bought one for my daughter's bow as well. She was having a problem with string slap (due to form) and it eliminated that entirely.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been toying with the idea of picking up an STS to try out. I admit though that my first thought when seeing it was that it was another gimmick. Then I started reading into the threads at AT and found there was actually some support for it. Another product that I'm looking into is that new Windstalker cable guard.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:23 AM

I figured that there must have been some talk about it, but since I was all excited about mine, I just had to post. I really like the difference that I feel with mine. A well spent $40 IMO.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

What is the deal with what I am hearing about it being a potential danger to the limbs? One of the customers down at the shop came in and mentioned that he read over on ArcheryTalk that several people were commenting on limb failures...and were attributing it to the STS system somehow. Granted, this is third hand so take it with a grain of salt.

I took off my version of it several months ago but I really didn't notice as much of a difference on my Old Glory as I thought I did.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:49 AM

I think I recall seeing something about that over there, but didn't put too much stock in it. Sure hasn't caused any problems with my set up.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would agree with hunohio. There seemed to be a lot of circumstantial evidence. "I shot my bow for two months and no problem. After having the STS on the bow for one month, I discovered a limb crack." [8D]

There never seemed to be enough evidence to back up the connection. Sometimes I think it helps, other times, I can't really tell. I just shot my 3rd best per shot average 3D score with my band-aided Champion pulling only 55# and no STS. Can't believe they made us shoot at the butt of a Rhinehart baboon at 32 yards. Not much room for error there!
Old 09-02-2005, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Joe, how did you band aid your champion?

I also found the sts about 1/4" away to work best in removing the slap sound it madeon my bow.

Wanna play with forward string travel? Move the sts as far forward as possible and then cake it with some string wax ( the gooey kind). Now shoot- if your bow is like mine you will see, by evidence leftin the wax,that evan as far forward as possible the string still reaches way up there during the shot (like that Mathews target shooter pic). I was just playing around one day.....
That's the main reason my STS will stay- more sleeve clearance allowed due to the string stopping at near Brace height instead of travelling way forward during the shot sequence.

Carry on.....
Old 09-02-2005, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Redneck?

The last guy posting over there (Javi) is a pretty knowledgable guy, so it made me feel better when he said what he said. Even though it is shooting pretty well for me, I am probably going to get a set of Barnsdale limbs for the bow. Then I'll use that primarily for 3D and the Darton will go to mainly hunting duty. They feel and shoot so much the same, it should work well.