Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

BEAR DELTA-V

Old 08-09-2005, 08:20 PM

Default BEAR DELTA-V

HAS ANYONE EVER SHOT OR HEARD OF A DELTA-V?
Old 08-10-2005, 03:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: BEAR DELTA-V

I think that bows was made around 1982 or 83. At one time it was bears top of the line model, but it's been years since I have heard of it, and never did see one in person.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:38 AM

My uncle actually had the patent on the bow, and since he has passed I have acquiredfour of them along with a lot of history. Two of them are actuallyone's he built in his garage that are made out of wood.I'm glad someone has at least heard ofthe Delta V. Thanks for the reply
Old 08-10-2005, 09:47 AM

A bow ahead of it time Bear Delta V I do remember that machine (if you had ever seen one you know what I mean, cables going every). It was the fastest bow on the market at the time in the early 80’s. Was fun shoot but I would not hunt with it was loud and heavy.

Bottomline did your uncle work for Bear?
Old 08-10-2005, 10:20 AM

Yes, your so right because it's pretty much a mouse trap. I don't really know if he worked directly for Bear or if he just sold the rights to manufactor the bow or what. I have a few pictures with him and Fred Bear together but to answer your question I'm not sure at this point. I still have a lot of paperwork of his that I'm trying to sort through to get a better history on the bow and how it came about. My father said that my uncle got a raw deal from Bear and ended up losing a lot of money, but that was before my time so I don't really know. I'm reading some of the papers now and I have found something quite funny. This is a quote from an engineer out of Wisconsin who evidentally did some testing on the Delta-V "The basic rating velocity of 241.01 feet per second is close to being unbelievable." That was written on June 1, 1985. Have you ever heard of a bow called the "Phoenix"?Evidentally (as I'm thumbing through some these papers)after Bear let the Delta-V fizzle out my uncle tried to market an improved bow by this name. On the brochure I found it says " Phoenix hotter than fire at 246 feet per second". My uncles compay was called G.T.O INC. OUR OF Newberry FL.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:19 AM

I recall the Delta V well, had one and sold it to a collector. They don't have much collector value now, along with other bows, but some day they will. It made people take notice that bows could have greater speed with programmed cams, York bows came out just before I believewith fast programmed cams that everybody takes for granted now. What doomed the Delta V was it was heavier than the competition,if I recall right, but what killed it for hunting was it was very loud. Which is a great irony. You see rubber string stops like Jennings bowsin recent years, and now stops like the STS. The Delta V guy was the inventor of bowstring rubber stops that are attached to a riser mount, I believe, you can check patent history to find out for sure. Ironic because,the Delta V used hard rubberandstopped the string very early, which made it fast but loud. If you wonder why guys don't get patents on their stops it is because the Delta V guy invented it long ago. Of course that patent became expired and became public domain long ago, and you can't make anybody pay royalties on stops nowadays, but that is the feature of the bow that has had a long term effect on archery, along with the cams.