Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Slick Tricks arrive (First impressions....) >

Slick Tricks arrive (First impressions....)

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Slick Tricks arrive (First impressions....)

Old 07-26-2005, 07:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Slick Tricks arrive (First impressions....)

Hey there....

I got my 3 pack of 125gr Slick Tricks this afternoon. I couldn't wait to open them up and assemble them.

First impressions:
- These things are teeny!!!
- They look kind of like a small scaled down Muzzy 4 blade.
- The blades are DULL! [:'(]I mean, when assembling them, I could actually put my fingers DIRECTLY ON THE BLADE and I didn't get cut!! (If I tried that with my Magnus Stingers, you'd hear me screaming all the way from Richmond, VA as I would be amputating my finger tips!!!)
- Assembly is straightforward and pretty easy. One blade goes this way, the other goes that way, and they sort of snap together and held tight with a washer/metal bushing.

Flight:
They fly great right out of the package, and yes, they do fly just like field tips. From 30 yards away, they flew right smack into the bullseye of my "Black Hole" target just like my 125gr field tips. Penetration was not anything to rave about (due to the blades being dull). They penetrated out the other side of the Black Hole, with only about 4" or so of arrow/broadhead sticking out. Since the blades were already dull, I figured "what the heck" and shot all 3 Slick Tricks from 30 yards and they gave me 3" groups (left, right, and bottom of the 6" bullseye). To me that is fantastic flight without any tuning issues or anything!!

See the images below and you'll see what the 125gr Slick Tricks look like on an XX75 2315 Easton Camo Hunter aluminum arrow...

Butch A.

Edit:
Final thoughts.... Thank you. Slick Trick.... But, I will be sticking with my Magnus Stingers. Those things also fly beautifully just like field tips, but they penetrate and slice so much, they have actually scared me... The Magnus Stingers penetrated the Black Hole target so hard, the fletchings were starting to penetrate through the front!!! [&:]

Old 07-26-2005, 07:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Slick Tricks arrive (First impressions....)

Old 07-26-2005, 07:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Edit again... (I deleted the horrible blurry close up of the Slick Trick broadhead).

Here is a better idea of what the Slick Tricks look like compared to other broadheads. This is a quick shot of inside my bow case....

Top: 125gr NAP Thunderhead
Middle: 100gr Magnus Stinger 4 blade
Bottom: 2 of the brand new 125gr Slick Tricks.

Old 07-27-2005, 07:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

My thoughts exactly. Very small and unbelieveabley dull out of the package.. but they do shoot great. I am going to try and sharpen them myself and see what difference it makes. If the don't sharpen up well, I will be sticking w/ my Muzzys.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah, I know... I liked how well they flew and how good they grouped. They are kind of funny looking at first- it's like looking at a common field tip with 4 teeny tiny blades sticking out.

Dull isn't the word! I'm serious... Call me whacked, but I actually ran my finger down one of the blades and it didn't slice me! It didn't even shave hair off my arm! WTF.... [:'(]

I'm going to take the Slick Tricks apart again and go over each blade with a wetstone and see if I can get them as sharp as my Magnus Stingers. My 4 blade 100gr Stingers are so sharp, they will cut me, just by looking at them!
Old 07-27-2005, 11:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

I am going to try the same thing... I think if they get sharp enough, they could be very destructive to a deer. Otherwise it's like shooting them w/ a butter knife!
Let me know how you make out and I will do the same.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Western MA Hunter
Let me know how you make out and I will do the same.
Deal! [8D]
Old 07-27-2005, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I found the same thing when I bought a pack of Slick Tricks. Very well made and they look tough as nails, but I've had lawn mower blades sharper than they were. I didn't even bother shooting them, I just took them back and got some NAP Crossfire broadheads to try. While that are not as heavy-duty as the Slick Tricks, they have a similar blade profile and surface area and the blades are actually razor sharp. I think I'm also going to try the 100gr Magnus Stinger 4-blade heads too. Whichever flies better between the two will get the nod this fall. I had a post about my findings a little while back regarding the Slick Tricks, and I'll say again what I said aout them then. They appear to be good heads, but for $22 for 3 broadheads I expect them to be sharp right out of the package. Anything less is unacceptable. However, if Slick Trick eventually figures out how to sharpen their blades to an acceptable standard, then I'll reconsider them.

Mike
Old 07-27-2005, 12:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: driftrider
I think I'm also going to try the 100gr Magnus Stinger 4-blade heads too.
Oh, you will LOVE the Magnus Stingers! One little trick I did with mine was, I took the spare rubber O-rings from the box of Thunderheads and put them on the Stingers. That way, I could tweak the broadhead snug and get it aligned vertical with the bow string. My 4 blade Stingers fly excellent just like my field tips. They've even hit the exact same hole as a previous field tip! Can't get any better than that!

Word to the wise about Stingers (like me, Dairy King, and other have posted).... They are DANGEROUSLY SHARP! They will fillet you like a fish at 20 paces!
Old 07-27-2005, 12:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

C'mon all you outdoorsmen pick up that stone and sharpen them. If I can do it so can you. And besides, the point on those suckers will open the way for anything that might follow.At 260 fps I wouldn't even want to get hit with the edge of a penny let alone one of those. So touch them up or mail them to me to discard.

Quick Reply: Slick Tricks arrive (First impressions....)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.