Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

what GPS are you using?

Old 07-26-2005, 06:58 PM

Default what GPS are you using?

I was looking at the eTrexLegendC. What do you have and do you like it?
Old 07-26-2005, 07:16 PM

Default RE: what GPS are you using?

The original eTrex Legend and it's awesome. IMO it has everything a diehard hunter needs (maybe a color screen too - as per the Legend C). You can download Topos to it, good battery life, WAAS, plenty of memory and features to do about anything a hunter needs.

I work with GPS' for a living and the eTrex series is one of the best on the market IMO for the everyday hunter.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the older Legend too. Great little unit. I never messed with the color one, not sure what the color screen buys you....
Old 07-26-2005, 08:38 PM

ORIGINAL: RIStrutStopper

not sure what the color screen buys you....
Color topos/waypointsand less battery life. About it. Save your money IMO unless you plan on staring at the nice screen all day. Then it's worth it. Most of us just gather points and get back to the truck with them, color just isn't needed. But like most things, just because it's not needed doesn't mean it's not fun to have!
Old 07-27-2005, 06:30 AM

Dang, to many toys and not enough money. Where is a good place to buy a Legend? That's the one I'm looking at. Walmart and Cabelas are running $169, is that about right? I just bought a Switchback and boy did that hurt.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:40 AM
Fork Horn

Another nod for the e-trexlegend.
It's easy to operate & does everything I need,I paid $200 at GM, camewith the mapsource CD's.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:42 AM

I have had 3 GPS's so far. I have had the garmin etrex, the etrex venture, and now the magellan sportrak map. I have to say I loved the ease and use of my Garmins. The magellan is quite good in its own right. I couldnt resist the buy.. 150 bucks with mapsource cd and a 50 dollar mail in rebate.. the store had it marked wrong so I took advantage. I am however looking at 2 more garmins. I am looking at the Vista C, or the Map76cs.

My friend has the rino 120.. Nice feature with the radio built in!
Old 07-27-2005, 11:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Etrex Vista and I love it. Downloaded topos and resolution is great. Has lots of features and good battery life. My last unit was a Lowrance and it was good but was an early technology and didn't have all the bells and whistles. Having maps makes it reaally easy to use.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been looking at buying one of the eTrex GPS models. Is it worth spending the extra $$$ on the bonus pack that includes the extra CD's, charger, etc?

Old 07-27-2005, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HuntElk4Fun

ORIGINAL: RIStrutStopper

not sure what the color screen buys you....
Color topos/waypointsand less battery life. About it. Save your money IMO unless you plan on staring at the nice screen all day. Then it's worth it. Most of us just gather points and get back to the truck with them, color just isn't needed. But like most things, just because it's not needed doesn't mean it's not fun to have!
The color units do have a few more options. Taking the LegendC vs Legend for example, the Legend C has a longer battery life, easier to read color screen, 3 times as much memory for mapping, stores more user-data, GUI/easier to use operating system, faster and more common USB interface, and the Auto-routing feature(probably the biggest feature). So that is basically what the color unitsbuy you.

I use a Garmin and wouldn't recommend using anything but them. They're the best all-around units for features, quality, accuracy, price, and support. Garmin has 80% of the handheld GPS market because they are the best in the industry. Just my 2 cents.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.