Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Slick Trick mania

Old 07-22-2005, 06:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Slick Trick mania

use what you have that works well and when your curious give something new a try and not because its the talk of the town.
Please explain to my why you wouldn't choose to take the word of "the talk of the town"? That is the absolute best advertising there is. If a person uses a particular product and raves about it and then other people use the same product and find that it in fact performs as advertised and so on and so on what is bad about that?

I would much rather take the advice of other bow hunters that use a broadhead and have had excelent results and found all of the claims of the manufacturer to be 100% true than listen to advertising in magazine adds with no supported claims. Which BTW Slick trick has not done as of yet. All of the so called "hype" is coming only from bow hunters that have used the slick tricks and found them to be everything they are said to be. That speaks volumes about a product!
Old 07-23-2005, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

AND NOW A WORD FROM OUR SPONSORS just kidding i thought i was clear about what i was thinking. its about the departing of hard earned cash and getting caught in hype and buying just because yada yada yada thats all.it seems there have been several broadhead makers through the years that claim with proper tuning the broad head will hit just like a field point. im just sick of the snake oil. i didnt think that claim was such a big deal in this day and age anymore. from my experience the mechanicals do a great job with that already and im sure some fixed blade as well . there are many that have found something that works great already and just trying to say its o.k. to stick with the not so latest greatest if it works already .
Old 07-24-2005, 03:51 PM
Typical Buck

Well said liquid orange, but Bigbulls is no joker, if he said they work it's worth a shot. But it is true if you use what you have always used and killed why fix it. I made that mistake for years tring to find a new head that would fit me, I eventually can back to muzzy. For 20 bucks I'll probably buy them and try them on the first doe that comes by and then judge them from there.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

I shot my new Slick Trick's the other day... They shot very good once locked in properly. They do look very small compared to other fixed blades I have shot. They are VERY short, but the cutting diamater is impressive. The blades are very sturdy, but didn't seem to be very sharp out of the package.
I have never tried sharpening my broadheads... What would i use?
Old 07-25-2005, 12:33 PM

I used them last year but I am switching to the Magnus Stinger Buzzcuts. I did get a nice 8 point with the Slicktricks but they cost me a really nice buck because of the short cutting plane which caused the head to kick off the deer and not penetrate. Also they were not very sharp. After trying the buzzcuts and seeing that they are super sharp and fly (in my opinion) even better then the tricks I put the tricks away.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

As far as the shooting and accuracy goes, I think it is hard to find a better flying head than the Slick Tricks. Last year, I thought I had my bow tuned pretty well, but when I shot broadheads, they all shot high. At 20 yards, the ST were 1" or less high, Muzzys 2" and Phantoms 3". At 30, the ST were 1.5" high, Muzzys 3", and Phantoms about 5". The bow obviously wasn't tuned right, but the ST were flying closest to field tips, and grouping well. When finished tuning, all 3 heads shot well, and with field tips, but when the bow was slightly off, the Tricks were probably close enough that I wouldn't have missed a hunting shot. If Tricks are shooting 2" high at 20, something is causing the arrow to come off the bow nock low, IMHO.

My only issue with them is blade sharpness. I don't have the newest ones, and heard they have improved however. I have only shot one deer with the Tricks, and it was a partial pass through, as the last 10" of arrow was broken off inside. The Trick broke 3 ribs going in (quartering away), and broke out of the off side shoulder blade. Deer went 80 yards tops. The shot was a little high, as I misjudged how much the field was rising away from my tree. Still though, only one tiny drop of blood on the trail, and I looked very closely. I think i have figured out how to get them sharper now. With sharp blades, they should be great, as you get the flight of the new compact heads, but the big 1 1/8" 4 blade cut of a full sized head. Most really sharp heads will cut wicked looking holes though. 4-blade Muzzys have cut big holes in the deer my friends and I have shot with them.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

If Tricks are shooting 2" high at 20, something is causing the arrow to come off the bow nock low, IMHO.
Got them flying within an inch at 23 yds, just a little more tweaking.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

mine are dead on....
Old 07-28-2005, 07:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

.....so are mine. My new Slick Tricks shoot just like my field points, and ironically, shoot just like my Magnus Stingers - maybe even a tad better than the Stingers!
Old 07-28-2005, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I intend to try these heads out this season as well.

Quick Reply: Slick Trick mania

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.