Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Broadhead test conducted >

Broadhead test conducted

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Broadhead test conducted

Old 07-12-2005, 08:34 PM
BFR
Spike

Default RE: Broadhead test conducted

Interesting. They look tougher than the steel force. The Slick Trick seems to be all the rage these days. I'm gonna check out their web site. I hope its not just a plug.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:24 PM
Typical Buck

I agree they do look tougher, but know where near as sharp out of the box.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:54 PM
jkb

I have shot hogs with bacon skinners and rocket mini mags 1 and three quater inch cut .They go right threww hog and that is a 75 grain head.I am shooting 300 fps.I just use heads that shoot like practice arrows
Old 07-14-2005, 06:50 PM
Typical Buck

There is no doubt that, if you shoot 300fps your results are going to be different than mine, your poundage is higher so is your energy, probably wouldn't matter what you shot it's going thru.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:05 AM
Fork Horn

I know the Slick Tricks and Ultimate Steels are going to pass through all that hide and tissue and vitals and then upon exiting they can fly into any type of plywood rock whatever, i won't be a bit concerned.
Old 07-16-2005, 06:42 PM
Fork Horn

BFR
try the slicktricks. They shoot great and are very durrable. I just blew one through a boar's ribcageand there is little damage.
Old 07-17-2005, 01:45 PM

Lou-lou, it sounds like your knowledge is excellent, so I hope you can offer me at least your honest opinion. While I shoot both compounds and recurves, and have harvested several mule deerand javelina'swith both, butmy heart lies with my old takedown. I pull 60 pounds at a draw length of 28", shoot Easton Legacy 29"2216shafts with 5" feather fletching off the shelf, with a finger tab, tipped with 100 grain three bladed Muzzy heads. I have been planning on using my recurve on an upcoming elk hunt, but was recently told by an archery expert something that really bothers me???He statedthat this setup does not deliver enough kinetic energy to provide ample penetration on a thick hided animal like an elk? He said that I must increase my arrow/broahead weight a combined 100 grains at least? My current setup fires the Legacy shafts at 185' per second and has a total arrow, insert, broadhead, nock, fletching combined weight of 458 grains. ? If this person is correct I can use my 70 pound compound setup with 2317 shafts and 125 grain broadheads. I practice with my takedown several times a week and have consistent8" broadhead groups out to 30 yards. While I prefer shooting this setup, the last thing I want to do is not recover an animal or make the animal suffer a long painful death. Thank you....Joe
Old 07-17-2005, 04:37 PM
Typical Buck

While you can get away with a 100grain broadhead out of a compound on elk a recurve is a bit different, I would not attempt to go after Elk with nothing less than 125gr broadhead with a stickbow, there is no need to go up 100 grains, a well placed shot will do the trick. You are shooting more than enough weight with your arrow but need at minimum a 125gr head. Your arrows are fine. As for elk being thick skined, your talking about a soft fleshed animal, you only need 6in of penetration to kill. Use a 3 blade 125gr muzzy and enjoy your hunt. You don't need a blistering shot to kill. Godd luck.lou-lou
Old 07-17-2005, 05:08 PM

Thank you very much, I appreciate your help.....Joe
Old 07-20-2005, 08:34 PM

i think i might put a 16 penny nail on one of my carbon expresses and see how that works. lol

Quick Reply: Broadhead test conducted

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.