HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   Broadhead test conducted (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/105244-broadhead-test-conducted.html)

lou-lou 07-11-2005 06:13 PM

Broadhead test conducted

Today my friend and I conducted a test with 2 pieces of pressure treated 1/2 ply wood screwed together. Our set up was Easton Acc's 3-71's , 29.75 in arrow at 70lbs of draw. The shot's were taken at 10 yards. All broadheads were 100 grains. We tested 10 different broadheads. The results are as follows. Thunderheads penetrated both pieces with only the tip sticking out the back, no damage to the head. Steelheads by rocket exploded on impact with the broadhead tip only going in. Shockwaves had the same result. Innerloc 3 blade performed well going thru both pieces with tip sticking out barely. Rockmountian TI 100 3 blades looked nice but performed bad penitrated the first piece but didn't even make it all the way thru the first piece. This was a bummer considering the hipe. Next was the magnus 100 grain stinger 4 blade, real sharp, it penitrated both pieces easily with about 3/4 of an inch sticking out the back and no damage at all. Steelforce serrated titianium hellfire 4 blades pentrated easily through both pieces with about 1 inch sticking out the back with no damage. Spitfire pro series performed well for a mech, penetrating both pieces with just the tip sticking out the back , Well ok 9 heads. The last was a 3 year old dull muzzy that my buddy shot well over 100 times into his target that we found laying around. This broadhead shot through both pieces of wood easily, splintering and busting everthing it it touched. The muzzy penetrated 6 inches past the otherside of the wood, with no damage. These things are incrediable. Remember this was a test for durability and toughness and in no way shape or form resembles a live animal with flesh and bone. Even thou the wood is harder than bone. Hope this helps you a little in your choice.

driftrider 07-11-2005 09:04 PM

RE: Broadhead test conducted

I'll keep this in mind the next time I run into a deer made of a double layer of 1/2" pressure treated plywood! ;)[8D]:D

Mike

lou-lou 07-11-2005 09:25 PM

At least if you did you would know you would kill him.

atlasman 07-11-2005 09:44 PM

I have butchered deer shot by my brother and friend the last 2 years with SteelForce serrated heads and mine last year was taken with a Stinger 4 blade. Your results don't surprise me at all on these 2 heads. Tough as hell and scarey sharp. They do a ton of damage and penetration is excellent. My brother and friend shoot around 240 fps and with the SF heads they have all pass throughs and one destroyed spine. My Stingers at 275 fps went through the deer like it wasn't even there.

I can't wait to try out the new Stinger Buzzcuts this year.

Thanks for the info.

lou-lou 07-12-2005 12:40 AM

The reason they performed like that I believe is they have quite the bit of cutting surface which caused them to slow down through the wood. I used the heads 2 years ago and had mixed results. I shot a deer at ten yards with the hellfires and hit the larger part of the ribs, hit him high and lost him, no penetration. Now the regular sabertooth killed a doe I shot at 20 yards within 20 yards of where I shot her. I want to shot the hellfires or the sabertooths but how can I argue with the performance of the muzzy's. You had to be here to see the damage it caused. Have you guys had any trouble with hitting bone with these heads, if so how did they perform. Please include your setup , draw weight, arrows and length so I can figure out how much weight is hitting them.

Dairy King 07-12-2005 12:47 AM

How did the bleeders stand up to the wood on the 4 blade stingers?

lou-lou 07-12-2005 01:32 AM

Couldn't tell much, like the steelforce only the majority of the head went thru, up to the bleeders, but from what I saw they were ok.

hunohio 07-12-2005 06:27 PM

Those muzzys will also shoot through the better part of a snow blower. Don't ask; it wasn't pretty and my snow blower will never be the same.

BFR 07-12-2005 08:07 PM

How about planing?I'm looking for a fixed blade broadhead that shoots straight. Also have you tried the montec? Thanks

lou-lou 07-12-2005 08:29 PM

The montec were shot last year in the same manner, 100grain and well, the results were less than expected, they penetrated both pieces barely, kind of like the thunderhead of this year.