HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Help new kid on the block
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2005, 06:29 PM
hunohio

Default RE: Help new kid on the block

go4damax - I feel for you. I went through the same thing earlier this year. What the others have said is great advice and I won't try to add to that. One thing I will suggest, however, is that you consider the cam options available on the different bows given your drawlength. I too have a 27 inch drawlength. As you've probably discovered by now, a bow is much more efficient if you shoot a cam where your drawlength is at the upper end of the cam's drawlength adjustability. For example, on my Buckskin, a person can choose from two cam sizes: a 25 to 27 inch and a 27 to 30 inch (in your case, you would want to order one with the shorter range). However, other bow company's only offer cams that cover a wide range of drawlengths in one cam, say 25 to 30 inches, while others offer drawlength specific cams. Keep that in mind as you test the different bows. That's not to say that you shouldn't buy a bow that only has a broad drawlength cam (where you are set at the bottom of that cam) if that bow is the most comfortable for you to shoot, but at least keep it in mind.

BTW - When I went looking for my bow, I had several criteria in mind: (i) ATA length (after trying some, I knew something in the 35 inch range is what I wanted; (ii) brace height (since I'd been out of the sport for a long, long time, I knew I'd better look for a somewhat forgiving bow); (iii) weight (who want's to lug a heavy bow around the woods all day); and (iv) market presence (I wanted a bow that I could get service on without driving 200 miles). With that criteria in mind, it really helped narrow things down.