Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Bowtech Tomkat

Old 05-11-2005, 10:06 PM

Default Bowtech Tomkat

I have been lurking here for a few days, taking in a LOT of information and asking a few questions to help me get a feel for what sort of bow I was looking for. I also read all the great info at huntersfriend.com, and as a newbie it came quite useful to me.

I finally took the plunge today.. walked into a local sports shop and expressed my interests in several bows, all of which they had in stock. I had the chance to fire several bows, including the Tomkat, Diamond Rapture, Diamond Triumph, and a Parker bow (model I cannot remember).

Of the four, the Tomkat felt AMAZING. It was absolutely quiet, and had no recoil that I noticed. It was equipped with 28" draw and 70 pound, so we had to set it to 29" for me and I quickly realized how much of a wimp I am . It was interesting to me that it had NO stabilizer, just the factory bowtech vibration equipment (string leeches and limb dampeners) yet still shot SO smoothly.

Fortunately, we were able to tune it down to 60-65 pounds, and I can draw it... barely. I can hold the draw no problem, as it has a very easy 80% letoff with a solid wall at the end of the draw.

I shot probably 10-15 arrows with this bow, and despite this essentially being my first time EVER shooting a modern bow, I had fairly consistent groupings (Granted, it was probably 20 yards).

I just have to say so far, so good. I swapped the stock rest for a whisker biscuit, kept the stock sight. Picked up 6 CX300 arrows that were cut to size and matched to the bow's weight, 100-grain practice points, and a nice hard case. Got a hurricane mech. release (cant recall the model right now, low end.. kinda cheap).

I have a few concerns though. The guy sold me the demo bow on the shelf, perhaps this is why he was pushing the default limbs so hard? I wonder if I should have INSISTED on a bow straight out of the box - how do most people buy new bows?

Other thing that sucked is the Tomkat only comes as a package, and the rest SUCKS and the sight is marginal. The Diamond Rapture/Triumph is a better deal per se, but I just LOVED how the Tomkat feels when I shoot it, better than either diamond bow. All in all, I dropped about $650 today, so I am not tickled with the price but I am rationalizing to myself that I will have it forever, its a good bow, etc.

Going to go get some practice in tomorrow if the weather holds up - I will post a full report
Old 05-12-2005, 10:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Bowtech Tomkat

Congratulations on the new bow purchase. I have heard many good things about the Tomkat but have yet to shoot one. Your comments of it in comparison to the Diamond bows intrigue me as I own one of the Diamonds you mentioned and found it an excellent bow to shoot as well.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:57 AM

Hi Needabow
I bought a 2005 Tomkat package about 4 months ago. My proshop let me change the sight and rest and just charged me the difference. IMO you have made a mistake buying a demo model and as you stated, you should have insisted on a new one. Bowtechs come with first owner lifetime warranty. I would suggest you contact Bowtech and establish if your new Tomkat has been registered before. If not, you probably dont have much to worry about.
That said, congratulations on your purchase. It is as you mentioned an awesome machine. I have mine set at 65# shooting 350 grain arrows and I'm getting 280+ fps out of it. It is a nice easy bow to shoot and wont tire you out. I use mine for 3D and really love the short ATA with the long brace height. Not the most forgiving bow in Bowtechs line-up but certainly up there. Did you get the full package as stated on Bowtech's site??
Best of luck with your bow and welcome to an incredibly addictive and exciting sport.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:13 PM

needabow,thats the same bow i was looking at on huntersfriend in fact iam going to order that same bow at the end of the month .iam surprise you just didnt order from there, for 568.00 its a good deal,its over 700.00
to buy everything seperate. well iam glad your happy with your new bow congrats, and good luck this year!!!
Old 05-12-2005, 12:57 PM

The Diamond bows were excellent too, the Tomkat just felt the best in hand. I have a few questions about some accessories and such but I will ask in the tech forum instead.
Old 05-13-2005, 06:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for the reply. Go ahead on the tech. forum. There is always somebody there who has tried just about every accessory available. I am sure you will get a response quickly.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:31 PM

Had another update for you guys, if anyone is interested:

Went out shooting the TK for the first time this past weekend. I had been at home pulling the thing back with my release, practicing my form, etc for the past few days and I have to say.. wow.. you really DO get stronger in a hurry!

The TK was well-behaved while shooting at my 2'x2' foam cell target. I managed to shoot 3" groups at 20 and 30 yards using the same pin. I didnt go to 40 because there wasnt a clear shot across the clearing at that distance.

Overall, I am very impressed! This bow really zings out the arrows and the trajectory is nice and flat. I am going to turn in the limb bolts about 1/2 turn and repeat, to gradually build up my strength and keep the trajectory nice and flat. I estimate the weight of the bow now to be around 60-65 pounds and the arrows are about 400 grains with 100grain field points.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:36 AM
Spike

i have a 2005 tomkat that has never been shot....29in 60-70lbs......if anyone is interested just send me an email
Old 05-30-2005, 11:55 PM

jamiebuck, I purchased a Bow Tech Stalker from Huntersfriend last year and couldn't be happier with their service and help. Called them serveral times with questions and then made to trips from southern Ohio to their store (1hr 15min each way). They are out in the middle of nowhere, but if you are close enough to make the trip I highly advise it. I can't say enough about the time they took to make sure the bow fit me perfectly.

Tom
Old 05-31-2005, 01:38 PM

tom i wish i lived that close ,Iam from western ma. try to order the tomcat threw them i told him i had 2 more people who were going to order a bow threw them , they told me i could not order the bowteach from them cause i have dealers all around me but the dealers couldnt touch the price, one guy told me almost 1000.00 by the time i walk out of there.