Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing
 Best time for carp in the Midwest? >

Best time for carp in the Midwest?

Community
Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

Best time for carp in the Midwest?

Old 06-18-2004, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Best time for carp in the Midwest?

It seems to me the carp are really active in May and June, and then start to taper off in July or August.
Anybody have much luck outside this timeframe?
If so, where?
(you don't have to give away your secret spot, just let me know what kind of habitat: river, lake, backwater?)

Thanks
Old 06-18-2004, 01:59 PM

Default RE: Best time for carp in the Midwest?

After June Carpin gets tough, I shoot primarily in lakes and when the water gets too warm they seem to move to deeper water. You can usually find some smaller carp in the shallows all summer but not as many and the big girls won't be around.
Old 06-18-2004, 07:32 PM

i "try" as long as the waters soft....this last march, had some great shooting with south winds..once the north/west winds pick up it gets tuff...go thru late october, and actually get fewer fish, but my biggest buffalo always come in late sept., early october when the pads start turning brown. always thought they were getting fat before winter! backwaters always hold fish, especially dark bottom ones in the early spring..their not moving around too much, but you can see them on the bottom in water 2-3 ft. all summer, and early fall, hunt the pads in rivers. troll around slow, watching for one bouncing around due to a feeding fish, stalk close, and wait for a shot. lots of fun!
Old 06-20-2004, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here in WI, except for the couple of days when they spawn, the late summer, in my opinion is the best time to go after them. They are feeding heavily, mostly on the surface, slurping duck weed or just cruising around looking for food. They're easier to stalk cause the water vegetation is heavier. I get a lot just moseying along my favorite shoreline, looking ahead for swirls or listening for slurps.