Community
Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

Draw Weight

Old 08-17-2009, 03:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Draw Weight

Im looking into getting started in bow fishing. I have my old Nova that I can setup for bowfishing. What draw weight are most of you using on your bows. I know it cant be that high of poundage being from what I have seen, the arrow is not leaving the bow at a high rate of speed. I know you need to aim lower because of the waters perspective. How much lower do you need to aim? HELP....
Old 08-17-2009, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

For your nova, turn it down as far as it will go. Many bowfishers are shooting compounds set less than 30#. More than 50# is just gonna give you trouble in shallow water. So if your bow won't go less than that, I'd suggest getting a different bow.
Aim depends on depth and distance. If they are close to the surface or close to straight down aim right at them. As they get deeper and/or father away, aim lower.

A better way to say it is... When you start shooting aim low. When you miss, aim lower. Keep shooting.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:42 PM
Spike

I shoot mine around 50 pounds, my fiance shoots around 30 to 35. I use to shoot at 60 but thats for deeper fish and the faster moving waters at the rend lake spillway.

Aiming is pretty much like kendal said aim low and if ya miss keep trying. the more fish ya get under your belt the better you will be. its mostly instinct and luck but it comes natural as ya do it more.

good luck with your new addiction and tell us all about the ones that get away "i swear it was this big guys" lmao
Old 08-21-2009, 06:01 PM
Fork Horn

Yea I'm using #50 longbow but I hardly ever come to a full draw before shooting,
I guess it just depends on the person and circumstances, I'd go with less though my arm gets tired after a long while :P
Old 08-24-2009, 05:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for all the tips guys!!!
Old 09-26-2009, 02:26 AM
Spike

The farther away they are the more you shoot in front of them, also allow some if they are deep instead of shallow! Practice makes perfect and the more you miss the better you will get. If you analyze your mistakes and can still have fun eventually after A LOT of missing you will get the hang of it. As for bow wieght anything over 35# is good but I shoot about 50-55#. Carpsniper is right about shooting in shallow water & I get my arrow stuck in the mud alot, but I was shooting 25-30lb carp and they were getting off because my muzzy tip wasn't going all the way through, especially on big carp & on longer shots! If you are bowfishing on rock bottoms lower it to about 35# but if your shooting into mud I would rather have to pull it out of the mud than have a big one get away. Of course you don't get many follow up shots when your busy pulling on a stuck arrow!
Old 11-29-2009, 04:56 PM
Spike

i am 12 so i use 30# pounds
Old 12-04-2009, 03:57 PM
Fork Horn

30 - 45 pounds is all you need. Doesn't take much to go through fish, a lot smaller then deer.

I like #35. Quick to pull back works great.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:21 PM
Spike

I usually shoot around 35 lbs and have never had a problem smokin the big boys. Anything heavier then that and your arm and shoulders will be dead after a couple hours of shooting carp... gotta remember its not uncommon to shoot over 100-150 times on a good day.