Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

Got a question

Old 03-13-2009, 05:35 PM

Default Got a question

Whats the lowest poundage you guys would use for bowfishing? i was wondering cause i might be getting a 30# recurve and was wondering if i could use it for bowfishing?
Old 03-14-2009, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Got a question

I had a 30# bow I let a young man borrow. It would do the job but I'd say that it was on the bare minimum side for a recurve. A compound could go a bit lower I'd guess.

But with the 30# bow I had there were a bunch of pull-offs. So just know that with the heavy fiberglass arrows that you'll need to stick to close shallow targets.

Good Luck to ya.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:24 PM

ok thanks. i ended up gettin the bow just to shoot around with. i might get some bowfishin equipment for it but if i dont i will just have to maybe break down and buy another bow from a pawn shop or somethin and set it up...hahahaha
Old 03-23-2009, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can find alotof used compounds at pawn shops and rumage sales for 25-50 bucks that work great. Old PSEs are nice and small and light as well as others. I like a compact light bow for shootin fish as usually have one hand stearingmy fan all the time. I use a golden eagle sparrow hawk (a youth bow 25 or 26") and my draw is 30.5. Ancor my hand under my chin kinda along my chest and cant my bow shooting off the shelf. Thats just what I'm comfortable with. WCL
Old 04-18-2009, 06:25 AM
Spike

I take kids out and let them use the genesis. Some of them are shooting really light weight, but as long as you are in shallow water and you get close, it's amazing what will work. On lighter bows I always suggest using a Muzzy head. Less penetration needed to catch and only 2 prongs.