Community
Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

Poundage ?

Old 03-01-2008, 10:09 PM

Default Poundage ?

I've been shooting a 45# recurve , for my fishing rig . The arrow is from a PSE Kingfisher set . Could I shoot this arrow out of a 65#compound ? Is this amount of speed/energy overkill ? I don't want to shoot through a carp and into the ground 10' down . Thanks for any input .
Old 03-02-2008, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Poundage ?

Those solid fiberglass arrows are heavy & stiff and would probably shoot from that heavy of bow, but that bow would definately be overkill in my opinion. It's best to keep arrow speed low with that string attached!
Old 03-02-2008, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you get into a decent amount of fish, you'll get tired of pulling that much weight in a hurry. A good bowfishing outing can result in one hundred or moreshots.

Also, more draw weight can impede your ability to 'snap shoot' at fish that appear by surprise just a few feet away. They won' be there long, and you'll have to draw and release very quickly to have a chance at them.

Many competitive tournament shooters in my area use bows that are in the 30-40 pound range, sometimes lower if they are shooting in water that has submerged stumps or is shallow and rocky.

I blow through soft carp and buffalo about half the time with a 50# recurve when shooting at short range and have to short draw to avoid it. I'm considering getting lighter limbs for that bow so it isn't a concern.

You really only need a heavy draw if youregularly encounterreally big fish that are down deep. In that situation, you won't need to shoot quite as fast anyway, and the deeper penetration will be necessary.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:59 PM
Fork Horn

i crank my bow down to 45# for bowfishing. it is plenty. i have shot thru some carp and stuck my arrow 5' in the mud. there was only one time where i wish i had a heavier and that was when i encountered my 50 lb grass carp. but other than that 30-45# is perfect. hope i helped
Old 03-13-2008, 07:59 AM
Spike

45# is fine out of a King Fisher recurve. My buddy has one and it works great. I shoot 35# out of my Oneida Osprey and it passes right though fish with a Muzzy tip, of course.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ditto what everyone else said.

That 45# recurve you got should be perfect.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:46 AM
Fork Horn

start blowing through fish and you'll come to know why most keep poundage below 50#.