Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

bow poundage

Old 08-03-2007, 08:50 AM
Spike

Default bow poundage

I have my bow set on 70 but am considering lowering it to 65. I am curious what others have theirs set on. Is it a bad idea to lower it if I can help it?
Old 08-03-2007, 08:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: bow poundage

ORIGINAL: mufan

I have my bow set on 70 but am considering lowering it to 65. I am curious what others have theirs set on. Is it a bad idea to lower it if I can help it?
You can back it off some and it should be okay. You are not loosing much, to be at your correct weight. I shoot 70 but I am going to get some 60# limbs soon ( Just because I am almost 60 ). There is nothing in the North America that you need a 70 # bow.
Backing off should be fine, just make sure you you do each limb the same. And check the till when you are finished.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bows perform better at their max poundage.However, there's nothing wrong with backing it down if you want to a more comfortable draw weight.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:37 AM

Ideally your draw weight should be set where it best matches your arrow's dynamic spine. You won't see much difference with field tips, but broadheads might be another story.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:12 AM

I guess your name isn't Straightarrow for nothing, eh. You seem to be very knowledgable on them.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Go right ahead and back off to 65 pounds, play with the draw weight and find the best setting for your arrows and get the tiller set to fit you. If you've been shooting with the limb bolts tightened all the way down, you'll likely wind up feeling like you've bought a new bow.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Without trying to sound like a smart elack, what purpose do you think limb bolts are on a bow for?

AND, what the other guys have said.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:44 PM
Typical Buck

You should shoot what feels good to you. 65 lbs is more then you need.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:14 PM

I shoot 55 pounds but I am trying to shoot whitetail deer I guess it kind of depends on what your shooting but letting it off about five pounds shouldn't affect anything. I heard that even shooting a deer with 50 pounds is fine. Best of luck!
Old 08-04-2007, 09:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Straightarrow

Ideally your draw weight should be set where it best matches your arrow's dynamic spine. You won't see much difference with field tips, but broadheads might be another story.
I will respectfully disagree. I believe ideally your draw weight should be set to where you are the most comfortable drawing and holding. Then you building your setup from there including purchasing an arrow that has the proper spine, etc.

Quick Reply: bow poundage

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.