Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing
 Under Water Spearfishing >

Under Water Spearfishing

Community
Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

Under Water Spearfishing

Old 01-26-2008, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Under Water Spearfishing

In Wisconsin you can spear panfish and rough fish. I use a Hawiian sling, mask, snorkle, and flippers. I have a couple of really clear lakes that I go to, it's like being in the ocean. I have shot alot of big Bluegills off their beds. They let you get really close to you so the shots are easy. I will go for carp also. It is a lot of fun when you get a big carp on, they will pull you arround under water for a little while. I have also gone in two rivers with clear water for rock bass. for this I use a broom handle with a frog spear. When I see a fish, I go passed it then come up from behind it. Works every time, and is alot of fun. The only problem is SNAPPING TURTLES!!
Old 01-30-2008, 10:03 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Under Water Spearfishing

That sounds absolutely awesome. I want to try this. I love bowfishing and grabbling, and I have always wanted to go spearfishing. Where do you get a speargun? Also, for the broom handle rig, would a regular frog gig work for this?
Old 01-30-2008, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

We used to make our own Hawiian slings using SS tubing, PVC plastic,and surgical tubing. It is a lot of fun to spear fish. We used to do it everyday in the Bahamas but over there you are not allowed to use scuba gear so you have to snorkle or use a surface compressor. We used to also make hand spears which is just a 6' piece of 1/2" SS tubing with a loop of surgical tubing attached to the end. Our only problem was with sharks following you because of the blood in the water. We had to face down about a 12' - 14' tiger shark onenight coming in. When all you have is a hand spear it is not a fun situation especailly when you still have about 200 yards to go to shore.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I spearfish almost every weekend during the summer (i live 12 minutes from the Gulf of Mexico). I shoot mullet along the grasslines and in the creeks with a couple friends of mine. It is just as fun as any other kind of hunting- just underwater. I plan on going as soon as the water temp is bearable with a shorty wetsuit.

Crowkilla- I have a Mares 760 and 850 pneumatic spearguns. The pneumatics are great for quick reloads and pretty reliable too. I use a 5 point gig head too for the fast moving mullet and a single head for grouper.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I made mine with a 6 foot piece of 3/8th inch fibber glass rod, apoxied a bow fishing point onto the end, and used two sling shot bands on the back end. I would imagine that a frog gig would work just fine.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do any of you guys have any pictures of these rigs?
Old 02-02-2008, 09:58 PM

I do quite a bit of spearfishing competitivly and for fun and food so I can appreciate the interest. There are plenty of resources for finding a gun. Ebay usually has a bunch on there at good price.If you are going for panfish and a larger fish once in a while try a pole spear with a detachable flopper head. They work really well for a variety of species. if you do a search on google you will see the endless choices. If you want to see some cool videos on it check out youtube.com and search spearfishing. Good Luck
Old 10-12-2008, 11:35 PM

I know this is an old thread, but I stumbled on this thread looking to see if there was anyone else in Illinois looking to expand the rights of Illinois citizens to spearfish. I swear Illinois hates it citizens.

Anyway, if your interested check out: http://forums.deeperblue.com/wisconsin-freedivers-spearos/