Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing
 Is bowfishing.....bowhunting? >

Is bowfishing.....bowhunting?

Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

Is bowfishing.....bowhunting?

Old 01-17-2008, 11:47 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Is bowfishing.....bowhunting?

I'm intrigued (and the only reason for the thread header was to make sure this would be the correct forum). Even if it isn't....I'd like to know if any of you bowhunters are bowfishermen (and ladies).

Have any of you guys tried this? If so....was this with your compound or are most doing this with trad equipment?
Old 01-17-2008, 11:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Is bowfishing.....bowhunting?

I've been doing it since I was 5 years old with a recurve. I'm 33 now.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:50 AM
Dominant Buck

What type of fish do you go after? Around here....we have bass and carp.....and I'm only guessing that carp would be the no. 1 target???????

Old 01-17-2008, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I did it a few times as a kid, with a 35lb darton recurve. It was fun. If I wasn't so wrapped up in other things during the summer timeI'd love to try it again. I'd honestly probably prefer a recurve over a compound, if you have to shoot quickly and at close quarters (most of what I saw when bowfishing the few times I went) I'd always prefer a recurve.

Edit* - The apartment complex I just moved out of had 10+ acres of stocked fishing ponds, and had large quantities ofmassive grass carp in them. I had often times thought of how much fun it would be to bowfish there, but even though fishing was allowed I don't think the other tenants walking their dogs around the ponds and such would appreciate a pile of rotting carp in the bushes, and I certainly wasn't going to eat them. [8D]
Old 01-17-2008, 11:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have a cousin who does tournaments and sinks boats with hundreds of pounds of fish. Basically use a cheapo compound bare..
and an air boat
Old 01-17-2008, 11:55 AM
Dominant Buck

I havent done it in the last two years, but have been doing it since I was about 8. I use a 35lb recurve. First animal I ever shot with a bow was a carp. Id say its hunting for fish. The way Ive always done it is under a light for gar, or walking the shallows for carp and garwhen they spawn. Either way, you are hunting for fish, as appose to putting a line out and fishing for a fish. Or thats how I see it.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

What type of fish do you go after? Around here....we have bass and carp.....and I'm only guessing that carp would be the no. 1 target???????

Carp is what we have. We've gotten some carp that were 40lbs and over. Its allot of fun. The smaller 3 to 4lb carp I'll smoke on my smoker, thats some good stuff!
Old 01-17-2008, 12:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Oh yea, here you can not shoot game fish, so we are stuck shooting gar, carp, or shad.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

I’ve never done it, but have been toying with the idea the past few years. I think me & Fran are finally going to give it a shot this summer. I see carp all the time while I’m bass fishing, and I think it would be a blast to try and shoot em. In our state it falls under fishing regulations and I think only carp and MAYBE suckers are legal. I’m curious as to how much trouble I’d get in if I shot carp at the county park. Its open to fishing, and bowfishing SHOULD be legal without implications. But the reality is that I’d probably get hassled pretty good and tossed out. It would be nice, cause I could just walk there to do so.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:25 PM
Typical Buck

I love it. I really got into it this summer. I set up an old XI and it worked great. Contrary to what most people think, carp in a small stream are pretty spooky and you really have to sneak up on them. we used to shoot them in Raystown lake alot but i prefer spot and stalk over shooting them out of a boat. I would definitly recommend trying it.

Zach

Quick Reply: Is bowfishing.....bowhunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.