Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing
 Is bowfishing.....bowhunting? >

Is bowfishing.....bowhunting?

Community
Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

Is bowfishing.....bowhunting?

Old 01-18-2008, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is bowfishing.....bowhunting?

ORIGINAL: treehunter

The adreline rush of a buck in bow range is not there with bowfishing so i dont think i would consider it bowhunting

So that's what bowhunting is? The adrenalin-rush? Pretty insightful....nothing to do with taking something with bow and arrow, huh?
Try shooting a 4-foot gar in the middle of the night and keep him from cutting you up when he's flopping around in the boat. THAT'San adrenalin-rush, and you can do it more than once a night.

I consider it bowhunting for fish. When you're walking the bank, believe me, you're hunting! If you can see the carp, they can see you and they're outta there. You have to stalk them and make a good shot and remember to allow for light-refraction when looking at them in 2 or 3 or 4 feet of water. Every shot is different and it takes alot of practice to be consistant at it. You have to move very slow and get close enough for a good shot (about 30 feet would be my max distance. I try to get alot closer if possible).

If you're shooting out of a boat, it's like being in a treestand; you're elevated so you can see farther, and you'll have a better angle at the fish when you shoot. And going out at night in a boat with a bow and arrow is one of the best adventures I can go on regularly. 20-40 fish and more a night is very common too.

I shoot with both a recurve with a spin-cast reel and a compound with an AMS Retriever reel, made specifically for bowfishing. I prefer the recurve. At 55-lbs. it'll keep you in shape during the off-season. And you can shoot 100-plus times a night, especially if you miss as much as I do.

If you guys are that intersted in this, check out the bowfishing forums once in a while. We post alot of pictures, stories and some video once in a while.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: treehunter

The adreline rush of a buck in bow range is not there with bowfishing so i dont think i would consider it bowhunting
That has to be the "oddest" definition of bowhunting I've ever read.

The adreniline rush of an ELK in bow range is nothing compared to a whitetail so I guess by your standard I shouldn't considerthat I bowhunt for whitetails?
Old 01-18-2008, 08:08 AM
Dominant Buck

Bunnies is where it's at boys.

If you're heart doesn't beat out of your chest at the sight of some P&Y ears......I gotta tell ya....you're missing out.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do and love it! We shoot carp, buffalo, and gar mostly. Lots of fun in the spring. Aerial bowfishing is now becoming popular, something I have not done, but really would like to try. I use my old compound, shoot fingers, no sights, just pull and wing it!
Old 01-18-2008, 08:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Aerial bowfishing? You mean for flying fish? [:-]
Old 01-18-2008, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't bowfished since moving to NC, however when I was in Fla we used to bowfish Nile perch(tilpia) it is an absolute blast and a lot of fun - Just hadn't found a spot in Nc - but will start looking into

I used both a compound and a recurve - I utilized some of same tactics - waiting for fish to swin back into beds, stalking through reeds -so it has some similarity to bowhunting but wouldn't consider it as the action is a lot faster paced
Old 01-18-2008, 09:48 AM
Typical Buck

It is very different than bowhunting I love to do both in the winter you cant get me out of a stand and in the summer you cant get me out of the boat. You are only allowed to shoot rough fish. However longnose gar and cats are great to eat.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:48 PM

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

Oh, really?!? Bet you could generate a bit of a rush if one of these monsters was in range.

These fellas took that thing out of Sam Rayburn Lake in east Texas.BAA world record alligatorgar - 8'2", 244 lbs, 44.75" in girth.
yep, I happen to be the ugly guy on the right. You better believe therewas a bitof heartpounding going on there.Bottom line, that fish is heavier and bigger than any deer I have shot, LOL. Bowfishing can be what youmake of it.Simple and easy going, to hard core and all out.

We prefer the all out approach and target the big fish. For all you with a bit ofpeaked interest, check out a few of ourvideo clips, or even our full show available for down load at http://www.aimlowproductions.com/video_gallery.shtml

If nothing else, check out the Show #1 preview and see what you think.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:18 PM

I love bowfishing, it is lots of fun. I go at night in the boat and shoot gar and carp with the recurve and you wouldn't believe how many fish you see at night. And that alligator gar HOLY CRAP!!!
Old 01-18-2008, 07:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Jeff, just caught this thread. I used to Bowfish a bunch with a core group of friends and before that I used to walk creeks and shoot carp. We can shoot anthing that is not a game fish but that pretty limits us to carp and suckers.

The best time for us was March April when the river was up a bit and the carp would come into the flooded shallows. We'd bowfish at night with spot lights from bass boats and pontoons.

The Bowfishing forum would be a spectatular place for this thread too.

Quick Reply: Is bowfishing.....bowhunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.