Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

LIGHTING???

Old 02-09-2007, 09:46 AM

Default LIGHTING???

I have a question about lighting and powering the rig, what types or lights (brands, watts, etc.) does everyone use? Also what type of generators/power supplies are on everyones boats? Do the cheaper generators workok or am i better off getting amajor name brand?

thanks in advance.

Old 02-09-2007, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: LIGHTING???

well my buddy had a boat set up with a big titon(thats wut i think it was) generator, i mean this thing was big! two people had to lift it onto the boat. but for lights he ran a few smaller lights that he had layin around. he's got a new air boat now and he's gonna figure out a way to run the lights off the engine. and he's gonna use some larger lights that he bought from a local store. i wish i could tell ya the watts on the lights but for the life of me i cant remember. none of the stuff is name brand stuff, its jus all stuff he's picked up at locals stores.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Goose, good question. As with any part of this sport nearly everyone has their own combination.
Lights - the most common are halogen flood lights/ work lights. You can pick up fixtures almost anywhere and they're pretty cheap. The fixtures usually come with 500 watt bulbs but you can get lower wattage bulbs that will allow you to get more lights from the same amount of generator. (I use 225W ultras made by GE)
Generators - wow there is such a huge price difference in generators. There is also a big difference in noise. Usually there is a direct corellation between price and noise. (High price = lower decibels)
Next problem is that manufacturers don't measure decibels the same. Do your homework before you buy one.
My suggestion here is buy as quiet a generator as you can afford. Never more than 74 Db.
That said we have found off brand generators for < $250 and sometimes < $200 that are fairly quiet. I had one for two years and treated it VERY harshly. It ran great up until it blew. [:@]I have to wonder if I'd treated it better, if it would still be runnin'.
Hope this helps.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:18 AM
Fork Horn

I run some cheap "construction" type halogen 500W housings. And all last year I would buy the cheap 500W bulb replacements. Out of my eight lights, at least two would go out every trip. Next year I'll run the ultra bulbs in smaller wattages and I'm sure those will hold up much much better. I'm also going toinvestigate running MH or HPS lights. That's a whole nother' story! I've been running my 5500W Generac generator which has a Briggs motor on it. Very loud and I have to lift it into the boat with my loader tractor! This year I will definately be looking into a smaller one. I'm sure it will be cheap and off brand.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:47 AM
Fork Horn

Hey Goose- Good question, I believe everyone who gets into the sport with boat, eventually ask this one. Like my buddy carpsniper addressed, everyone has there combo. First what kind of boat you have? Will it have a fixed or removable deck? Or no deck? Are you thinking of a pole light? Are you thinking of running your trolling motor off your generator?
Alot of questions I know, but this will play into more the generator than anything. Don't just look at the major places for a generator. If you are going to run lights only, look at auto stores, found mine at O'Reilly cheap.
Other than the generator, I would do as carpsniper said and just go with cheap halogens at first. I don't think I know of anyone that didn't rearrange and move lights after a year or two. Most of all ensure your budget can handle it, price of gas has gone up.

Kill some Gills
Old 02-12-2007, 10:24 AM

Wow thanks everyone so much help.

stix,
I have a 16ft mod v aluminum boat. It will have a removeable deck on it. about a foot off of the gunnals. I do not know what a pole light isbut i'm guessing its a light on a pole. I will not be running my trolling motor off of the genny it will be off of a battery. I am hopeing to use 2 lights on the front as well as 2 on each side of the platform.

Old 02-12-2007, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice graphic!
Looks like a good platform.
If you are going to use a bow-mounted troller, make sure it will clear the frame andposts.