Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing
 Youth bowfishing and Carp points >

Youth bowfishing and Carp points

Community
Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

Youth bowfishing and Carp points

Old 07-24-2006, 07:12 PM

Default Youth bowfishing and Carp points

Hello everyone!

Okay, got a few more questions for those veterans out there. I have a recurve setup so my son can bowfish with us. He is 10 yrs old, and doesn't quite pull the recurve back far enough to get good penetration on carp. He has hit a bunch, but they always get off after fighting them on the line for a bit. Anyone have any pointers on what points to use to get a little better penetration to hang on better. We tried the switchblade points which work great out of my 55lb compound. Also tried the Garpoon, but he just doesn't have enough draw length to stick through the carp enough. Any suggesting would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
jmarti1
Old 07-24-2006, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Youth bowfishing and Carp points

What kind of point is he using now?

You might want to try the muzzy points but squish the barbs in a bit. (so they lay flatter against the shaft, still holds great but a bit less to push through the fish)

Old 07-24-2006, 08:24 PM
Fork Horn

I started my son on the old 4-barb tips - can't beat them for holding power. A good sharp muzzy should work.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:29 PM
Typical Buck

Well if you use muzzy's or penetrator points you can always use pliers and spread the barbs out a little bit further for more holding power i have seen it work well.....good luck
Old 07-25-2006, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have great luck with Muzzys too, and I love that they prevent spin-offs, but still release a fish very easily when you are ready. With any more than 2 barbs, you are going to reduce penetration due to the added energy it takes to push all that hardware through the fish's flesh, and the added holding ability won't mean much if they aren't far enough in the fish.

For a low draw weight bow, I'd stick with the hollow ground gar point for best penetration. Then use the trick about bending the barbs in towards the shaft a wee bit to keep teh hole small and reduce drag.Resharpen with a curved surface like a small diameter (5" or 6") grinding wheel and cool often to keep the steel's temper, or just buy replacement points and take them with you.

Hollow ground gar point...

as opposed to the regular flat ground carp point...

Good luck. Let us know what you try and what works best for you.