Community
Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

Why Oneida?

Old 07-21-2005, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Why Oneida?

Why do alot of bowfishers choose Oneida? I figured they would be the last choice with the bottom limb and point the bow more down than an average bow hunter. Im just curious, I not trying to start anything, I just don't understand why Oneida.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:46 PM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Why Oneida?

Everyone needs a good boat anchor.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

JRW.......

Oneidas are extremely tough, you can snap shoot them without coming to full draw, they don't have the long cables of a regular compound (less to tangle your fishing line on), and they are very zippy bows that fling a heavy fish arrow with authority.

The older ones are pretty heavy but the newer ones are light and you can get them with stainless steel hardware.

The bottom limb is a plus and a negative. Sometimes holding at full draw is a plus in bowfishing ('specially when waiting for that split second a gar or bighead is going to 'roll' at the surface). I can brace the bottom limb with my inner thigh and hold at full draw for some time.

The downside is that usually at least once per bowfishing trip I forget about that bottom limb and smack myself in the thigh with it. But it's just a bruise.... I can live with it.

Old 07-24-2005, 11:13 AM

The lighter draw weight Ospreys are also darn easy to shoot. My BE really has to much weight to make a good bowfishing bow but a neighbor has an Osprey (Just found that out a monthor so ago when he saw me shooting my Stealth) and he just swears by it... Who knows..

I know guys who did that outboard limb on the thigh thing in treestands.. Said they could almost hold back idefinitly... Each one also say they whacked themselves pretty good a couple times while doing it.. Ouch.
Old 07-24-2005, 05:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Me AND My son both shot Oneida ...both blew up on us and one left a real nice scar on my left hand ...we now shoot the PSE Kingfisher recurve ..someone else is using those Oneida time bombs now ...GOD BLESS EBAY ;&gt)

Doc

Old 07-26-2005, 03:56 PM
Typical Buck

I have both Oneida and a Kingfisher. I like both for different reasons, but I find myself using the Oneida more. It really zings the arrows out there and, like said before you can hold the draw a long time. Comes in handy with poppin' gar. I also seem to shoot more accurate with it.