Blades Cutting edge discussion for all things knife related.

Lansky Kits

Old 03-11-2017, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Lansky Kits

Leaving first of the week for Texas at the first of the week for some hog killing. After a close inspection on my knives I have come to find that I'm just getting too damn old to free hand stone sharpen knives to a fine and CONSISTENT edge like I used to. So, I did a little research and found that the Lansky Diamond kit has gotten extremely good reviews from many in the knife professions. Ordered me one of these kits https://www.amazon.com/Lansky-4-Ston.../dp/B01N2U46YD and an extra fine hone as well (couldn't find one in stock that had the extra fine hone in it)/ Also ordered the little C-Clamp thingamajig to hold the knife clamp. Kit came this morning.

Just did my old Solingen bladed Jack knife as that is absolutely the HARDEST knife I have in my collection to sharpen properly though when done properly it holds that hard to get edge like a champ! I have to say, the reviews were spot on! This little jig really does deliver a perfect edge angle and consistency that can't be matched free handed. It has 4 angles that you can put on a blade from a sharply angled 17 degree for a weak but deadly sharp edge like you would put on a razor to a 30 degree still wicked sharp but strong working edge for cutting stuff like carpet or cardboard all day.

For this particular knife, I chose a 20 degree angle. Completely redid the edge angle that I had by starting off with the coarse and basically regrinding a new edge. Took a bit of time and a bit of getting used to it but once all was done, this knife will shave a frog! The next knife will be one of my Buck folders with the same degree. Then on to one of my Chefs knives that I will put on a 25 degree. Then on to a couple of filet knives with a 17 degree super sharp.

All in all it seems this was a sound investment with all the knife work I do throughout the year. Little on the expensive side for the diamond stones but if the regular Arkansas stone kits sharpen as well as these (and the reviews say they do) and you don't do a ton of knives throughout the year like I do, you can get away with around half the cost by going with them. The diamond stones last MUCH MUCH longer but again, if you don't do a ton of knives, you will be just fine with the regular stone version like this https://www.amazon.com/Lansky-Deluxe.../dp/B01MR6GZWR

Last edited by super_hunt54; 03-11-2017 at 10:46 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 01:43 PM
Dominant Buck

I have a few friends who had the same experience with them. Having a consistent angle on both sides is indeed hard to accomplish without the aid of a clamp. Some people just have a knack with putting a perfect edge on a knife. I am not one of them but I manage to do an adequate job. Perhaps based on your report I'll get a Lansky kit.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

One of the few things my Dad taught me rather than my Great Gramps was putting an edge on a knife. Gramps was good. Paps was better. I guess they both taught me. But I just don't seem to be able to hold the knife properly anymore for free handing. I can still do a passable job to most, but passable just aint in my vocabulary when it comes to my firearms or my knives. Wife drives me bonkers. What she calls sharp is what I call dull as a damn hammer. She can't seem to figure out that if she doesn't let me know one of her kitchen knives is dull, it just makes twice the work for me to bring it back to a good edge to where the knife is doing the work, not YOU. That is how people get fingers cut off.

CI, with all the fishing you do, I would imagine you go through way more than your fair share of filet knife edges. After I do one of mine I'll let you know how well it works on a thin bladed filet knife. Going to tackle those tomorrow. You would probably be best served with a diamond set like mine since I'm sure you probably go through them like hot cakes.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:24 PM
Dominant Buck

I have several fillet knives of all lengths and find that as long as I keep them from getting too dull and go slow and not roll an edge I can keep them sharp enough using a ceramic sharpener similar to a steel. These days most of the fish I catch go to a fish buyer whole.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

My last trip to Canada I did a LOT of Lake Trout fishing. Dulled 4 filet knives. They were hitting spoons like wildfire. Them and wild Salmon is about all the fresh water fishing I do anymore. Still like to hit the deeps for Tuna or the Atlantic for Flounder (sashimi right there on the boat,, YUM!) on occasion but my passions still lay in the land.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:12 AM
Dominant Buck

Got a lot of lakers and salmon right out front of the house. I rarely fish for them anymore though. I never fished for them in Canada which is odd since I live so close but plan on going out in Alaska when I visit this next fall. We are looking to get out a day or two for salmon or halibut in addition to seeing the sights.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've had a Lansky for years. Mine has 6 hones from extra course to extra fine and a ceramic hone for serrated blades. It works well and keeps my knives field ready year round.
Old 03-12-2017, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
One of the few things my Dad taught me rather than my Great Gramps was putting an edge on a knife. Gramps was good. Paps was better. I guess they both taught me. But I just don't seem to be able to hold the knife properly anymore for free handing. I can still do a passable job to most, but passable just aint in my vocabulary when it comes to my firearms or my knives. Wife drives me bonkers. What she calls sharp is what I call dull as a damn hammer. She can't seem to figure out that if she doesn't let me know one of her kitchen knives is dull, it just makes twice the work for me to bring it back to a good edge to where the knife is doing the work, not YOU. That is how people get fingers cut off.

CI, with all the fishing you do, I would imagine you go through way more than your fair share of filet knife edges. After I do one of mine I'll let you know how well it works on a thin bladed filet knife. Going to tackle those tomorrow. You would probably be best served with a diamond set like mine since I'm sure you probably go through them like hot cakes.
My wife is spoiled plum rotten when it comes to knives....She brings me knives that still shave "I need this sharpened"

I love the lansky. I don't get mine out to often but when it do its a game changer as far as changing profiling or bringing a knife back to a good edge.

I do a lot of convex edges but the lansky is even very useful for that as its much easier once I use the lansky first.

I use a wood block with a strips of leather glued to it with various compounds 90% of the time but when I need the lansky it is great for what I need it to do.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a barbers strop (wow did I just date myself again!) that I use quite often in my "meat shed" and for finishing a blade. It is getting pretty worn down though. Rock, how well do you think a piece of tanned deer hide would work on a board? I don't have any scrap leather (cow) heavy enough to do the job.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
Got a lot of lakers and salmon right out front of the house. I rarely fish for them anymore though. I never fished for them in Canada which is odd since I live so close but plan on going out in Alaska when I visit this next fall. We are looking to get out a day or two for salmon or halibut in addition to seeing the sights.
Do some working out if you plan on Halibut. It's a boring fight, Boring but ROUGH generally, but basically they are just one big fin and USUALLY found very deep. Do a lot of curls and shoulder lifts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.