HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Lansky Kits
Thread: Lansky Kits
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2017, 10:34 AM
super_hunt54
Nontypical Buck

Default Lansky Kits

Leaving first of the week for Texas at the first of the week for some hog killing. After a close inspection on my knives I have come to find that I'm just getting too damn old to free hand stone sharpen knives to a fine and CONSISTENT edge like I used to. So, I did a little research and found that the Lansky Diamond kit has gotten extremely good reviews from many in the knife professions. Ordered me one of these kits https://www.amazon.com/Lansky-4-Ston.../dp/B01N2U46YD and an extra fine hone as well (couldn't find one in stock that had the extra fine hone in it)/ Also ordered the little C-Clamp thingamajig to hold the knife clamp. Kit came this morning.

Just did my old Solingen bladed Jack knife as that is absolutely the HARDEST knife I have in my collection to sharpen properly though when done properly it holds that hard to get edge like a champ! I have to say, the reviews were spot on! This little jig really does deliver a perfect edge angle and consistency that can't be matched free handed. It has 4 angles that you can put on a blade from a sharply angled 17 degree for a weak but deadly sharp edge like you would put on a razor to a 30 degree still wicked sharp but strong working edge for cutting stuff like carpet or cardboard all day.

For this particular knife, I chose a 20 degree angle. Completely redid the edge angle that I had by starting off with the coarse and basically regrinding a new edge. Took a bit of time and a bit of getting used to it but once all was done, this knife will shave a frog! The next knife will be one of my Buck folders with the same degree. Then on to one of my Chefs knives that I will put on a 25 degree. Then on to a couple of filet knives with a 17 degree super sharp.

All in all it seems this was a sound investment with all the knife work I do throughout the year. Little on the expensive side for the diamond stones but if the regular Arkansas stone kits sharpen as well as these (and the reviews say they do) and you don't do a ton of knives throughout the year like I do, you can get away with around half the cost by going with them. The diamond stones last MUCH MUCH longer but again, if you don't do a ton of knives, you will be just fine with the regular stone version like this https://www.amazon.com/Lansky-Deluxe.../dp/B01MR6GZWR

Last edited by super_hunt54; 03-11-2017 at 10:46 PM.