Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Blades
Is it Sharp yet? Ouch. >

Is it Sharp yet? Ouch.

Community
Blades Cutting edge discussion for all things knife related.

Is it Sharp yet? Ouch.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:45 AM
Spike

Default Is it Sharp yet? Ouch.

Ok so here is something that popped into my head the other night and i wanted to hear what you thought of this.

To sharpen my knives I use a Lanksy sharpener which i really like because it helps you keep the angle correct with the blade that you're sharpening.

With that being said I have a couple knives that are S30V stainless and if you know anything about knives this is like one of those super steels, it's expensive and stays sharp for a long time but once it goes dull it is hard to get it back to where it was when you got it.

So what i was thinking is am i better off to sharpen it like i regularly do with my lanksy system and just do that every day for a week that way it's not just a one time thing and hopefully that will really help to get it to where it needs to be. I mean you can shave with it right after i sharpen it with the lanksy system. But cut a piece of manilla rope and no more shaving. So i want to be able to put that longevity back into the blade. Lets hear what you think.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

maybe something close to 30 degree's will help with cutting ropes, i do mine at 20 cause i cut alot of meet with them...my carry knife i do at about 24, it is usually used to cut corn sacks, rope, zip ties, holes in the ear for a tag, open mail or what ever.
if ya like shaving with it go fer 18 er so. it isnt good for the edge to cut rope though, makes it to dull to shave with, but will cut rope fer a good while. good luck
Old 02-03-2012, 08:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well if your knife is getting that dull that fast, I sharpen it everytime you cut a rope.. Lansky makes a great sharpening system. It should take much to resharpen each time you use it.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:31 PM
Spike

yup,me too
Old 03-05-2012, 06:40 PM
Spike

Sounds like there could be a potential treating/tempering issue if it's that bad...maybe not but just a thought - if it's a true "supersteel", it should retain it's edge better if it was shaped and treated correctly.