Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Blades
Favorite Knife >

Favorite Knife

Community
Blades Cutting edge discussion for all things knife related.

Favorite Knife

Old 01-30-2011, 05:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default Favorite Knife

Every sportsperson has his or her favorite knife, for what it is worth here is mine. I have been using a Schrade Sharpfinger for years, I think it is the Idea knife for the field. with a little practice the blade actually feels like another finger, and although I know it is not for everyone it works great for me. Schrade went out of business in 2004 (?) but they can still be found on ebay, new they are getting spendy but there are used ones for sale pretty reasonable. BEWARE they were bought out by the Taylor co. and are now being produced in China, and although these might be good knifes they are not the SCHRADE of old. Another nice knife (along the same lines) is the Camillus Sharpfinger, this knife resembles the Schrade sharpfinge in looks only, it is a different knife, I haven't used the Camillus as much because I prefer the Schrade but the Camillus is a very capable knife!!! Camillus went out of business in 2007 (?) and I don't believe they are being made under any other name, these can be found on ebay every so often also, but are getting tougher to find.
These are great knifes about there only weak point is the Tip, many of us use the tips of knifes as screwdrivers and this is a no-no for the sharpfinger. not trying to change anyones mind but if you find a Schrade sharpfinger or Camillus (Grand-Pa) Sharpfinger for sale, snap it up, you just might enjoy it, Doc

The Schrade Sharpfinger (Scrimshaw handle)

The Camillus (Grand-Pa) Sharpfinger

Last edited by DocD; 01-31-2011 at 03:19 AM.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:53 PM
Spike

I also carry a sharpfinger for Dressing. For defense, i carry a Gerber Mark I.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by theF.A.C.
I also carry a sharpfinger for Dressing. For defense, i carry a Gerber Mark I.
I hear ya!! Although I do not carry a defense knife, it would seem the sharpfinger is a good candidate, it is the favored carry for Sonny Barger founder of the famous "Hell's Angles" Doc

" Probably the most famous user of a Schrade Sharpfinger knife is Sonny Barger, founder of the Hells Angels Motorcycle Club."

In an interview with Harper/Collins regarding his book "Dead in 5 Heartbeats", Barger commented on the Sharpfinger knife: "A lot of people I ride with carry that knife. I actually prefer fixed blades — like the Sharpfinger — to a folded blade. Although I carry a folded blade too, with a fixed blade you don't have to reach inside your pocket. It's always handy, on your belt when you need it. I use my Sharpfinger as a tool. I do everything with it. I like knives with sharp points. You never know when you might want to pop a balloon or peel a banana." [1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharpfinger

Last edited by DocD; 01-31-2011 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:30 PM
Spike

I remember reading that before.