Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 First Test with Black Mag 3 Powder >

First Test with Black Mag 3 Powder

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

First Test with Black Mag 3 Powder

Old 04-29-2005, 08:19 PM
Typical Buck

Default First Test with Black Mag 3 Powder

OK, I did get to do a little experimenting with the Black Mag 3 today with my 22" Knight USAK rifle.

1st off, I can say it is VERY clean burning. I shot as many as 6 shots before running a spit patch down the bore and the patch was barely discolored at all by the fouling. Also no sticky breech plug or crud ring to contend with during loading or clean up.

AS far as shooting it goes, I didn't get to run it thru all my bullet choices, like I had wanted to - but I got enough data to establish some general comments. All the testing I did was with the 300gr XTP Mag sabots, using #11 CCI Mag percussion caps.

Generally,in my rifle, BM3 is noticeably less powerful than the 2fg 777 I've been using. This confirms the info I got earlier this week in my cap & ball revolver (which showed that 30gr of BM3 was 14% weaker than 3fg 777).

For Example, my normal load is 80gr of 2fg 777 with that bullet for best accuracy and last month that load chronyed at an average velocity of 1501fps. I started off using 80gr of BM3 and it only clocked in at 1403fps, with wide velocity deviations and 3.75" groups at 80yds. Upping the charge to 85gr yielded 1447fps and a group of 2.65" (the deviations between rounds were cut in half. Upping the charge to 90gr yielded 1474fps with a corresponding drop in velocity deviations and a group of 2.69".

I then tried my "control" load of 80gr 777 and that resulted in a 1.62" group at near 1500fps.
Then I ran out of range time.

Based on what I saw, I think 95gr of BM3 will yield velocity results close to my 80gr 777 load (I'm not so sure accuracy will improve to the 777 standard though).
BTW, that puts BM3 on a par (powerwise) with Pyro RS - since my standard 300gr bullet load with RS is 95gr.

So far, I can't say I see the need in paying $25 for another pound of BM3 at this point. I'll get around 10 less shots per pound with it for $5 more cost and at best accuracy might equal 777. I'm not sure a little cleaner burn is worth that for me...............MAYBE if the price came down and the stuff was more readily available - MAYBE.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:59 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: First Test with Black Mag 3 Powder

interesting results Mark.. I was under the impression that it was a lot more powerful then the Triple Se7en. I never really considered Triple Se7en all that dirty in my Wolverine II. Granted I have to swab more often but I do not see that as a big deal.

It's interesting that you shoot almost the exact same load out of your American as I do my Wolverine II. Today I was shooting the Wolverine II without the RED DOT or any optics other then the fiber optic sights. I was tempted to mount a scope on this rifle but was really impressed with the accuracy of the rifle with the open sights.

I shot some 250 grain T/C mag express XTP's with 85 grains of Goex 3f and then I tried 100 grains of Clean Shot FFg. Both loads shot great and the rifle handled them just fine. I have some of the 300 grain XTP's ordered and I want to get a new pound of AAP since my Clean Shot is so old....

Again, interesting test results. I will look forward to more information from you on this..

thanks
Old 04-29-2005, 10:05 PM
Typical Buck

cayugad,
to be honest, I really don't have any major cleaning issues with 777 in my rifle either. I DO have to watch the breech plug, but the teflon tape takes care of that - but otherwise I've never had to deal with the crud ring others report. And it is SURE a lot cleaner than Pyro or Black.
But I'm gonna continue to play with this jug of BM3 to see what I can find out about it. I'm also wanting to run the Chrony on my Pyro RS & CleanShot loads for comparison's sake some day too.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:52 PM
Typical Buck

These results are almost the opposite of what I got in my .50 Omega with 300gr. bullet/sabot. I think some of the difference may be the primer. I found a Winchester 209 with 100gr. BM3 hit 2004fps. The same volume of ffg 777 was only 1643. The same load of BM3 with a small rifle primer was 1920fps. Performance in my .54 Hawken with #11 mag primers and PRB was less impressive. I suspect the BM3 likes a hot primer and a long barrel to get maximum performance. Apparently different rifles will perform way different especially with Black Mag'3. I will still pay the price for BM3 in my Omega as it is the only powder that gives me what I need in that rifle for hunting situations. I agree it sure is clean.
Old 04-30-2005, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mark

Was the paper seal fastened when you first unscrewed your BM-3 jug?

Any grain clumps in the bottle?

Did you witness the jug "swelled/expanded" when you reached for it that day?
Old 04-30-2005, 02:22 PM
Typical Buck

Triple Se7en,

The jug was not swollen and the seal was tight on it when I got it. And it's been under HVAC in my room since I received it.

As I poured it into my flask, I did notice 1 small 1/4" clump................but it broke up under pouring and I didn't see any more.
Old 04-30-2005, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your powder is obviously fine Mark. It appears to be showing inconsistency BM-2 showed in the 1990s. BM-2 had same strength problems mostly. This stuff has been massively produced now for around one year. We'll know more as time progresses. All I remember about BM-2 is the longer it sat on shelves & gun safes, the more erratic/weaker it became. Is there a production date on the jug??... maybe we can match it up with a few other poster/BM-3 user dates.
Old 04-30-2005, 10:15 PM
Typical Buck

Unfortunately, there are no lot markings on the bottle at all - just the UPC label which won't help to track it at all.

For what it is worth, I ordered it from Midsouth Shooters Supply early March.
Old 04-30-2005, 10:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess you're disappointed... especially if you paid the $20 HAZMAT fee with it.

That's why I stick with 777 FFF. I've shot around 15 jugs so far & target deviations from jug-to-jug never vary more than around one inch. The price is fine -- it's consistent - powerful & clean.

I just went two weeks after shooting 40 shots in my sidelock without cleaning. No ill effects... not a sight of anything brown anywhere. Can't get any better than that when I consider the whole package 777 brings to my shooting table.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:30 PM
Typical Buck

nawwwwwwwwwww

I'm not disappointed because of the fee..................I also ordered more 777 and about 6 or 7lbs of smokeless powdwers all under the same fee. Compared to local prices, I made out like a bandit.

Quick Reply: First Test with Black Mag 3 Powder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.