Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Loading your choked shotgun >

Loading your choked shotgun

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Loading your choked shotgun

Old 03-26-2005, 03:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default Loading your choked shotgun

How do you load your ML shotgun with full chokes?
Old 03-26-2005, 04:44 PM

Default RE: Loading your choked shotgun

This probably isn't much help. But the only way I can get plastic shot cups down my Thomson Center New Englander is to remove the Turkey choke and put in the Modified choke. It is a pain in the but, but worth the denser patterns the shot cups provide.

Jerry
Old 03-26-2005, 05:26 PM

Does your shotgun have screw-in/out chokes?

If it does, that's about the only way you can load with a plastic wad unit (removing the choke). I shoot two different in-line shotguns with .665 extra-full choke tubes. I pour the powder in WITH the choke still threaded in to keep from getting powder into the fine threads inside the muzzle. Then I remove the choke and complete the loading...wad or wads...shot...over-shot wad. Then screw in the choke.

So loaded, both guns throw near 100-percent patterns at 30 yards.

If your shotgun does not have a screw-in/out choke, then forget about trying to load a plastic shot wad unit. Even stuffing one of the 1/2-inch fiber cushion wads throught he choke will destroy the wad. I hunted with such a gun for several seasons...pushing a .125" card wad in over the powder, followed by three or four of the lubricated felt wads, then another heavy card wad. ON top of that, the shot charge was poured, then topped with an over-shot wad. (Styrofoam over-shot wads seemed to work best.) That gun was one of the old Navy Arms T&T (Turkey & Trap) models...and I took a dozen or more birds with the shotgun and 90-percent patterns.

Hope all of this helps.

Toby Bridges
PigBuster
Old 03-26-2005, 06:27 PM
Dominant Buck

I have no idea how to load a choked shotgun. I have a .62 caliber Green Mountain Barrel Co. Smoothbore. All I do is drop the powder down (80 grains of 2f) then an over the powder card, then the fiber wad, the shot in a homemade paper wad, and finally two over the shot cards. Out to about 25 yards I get good patterns. I wish I could stretch that a little but am new to smoothbores and have no idea what more I can do...

Good luck with your shotgun. It should be an interesting turkey season..
Old 03-27-2005, 05:41 PM

Pigbuster, do you know where I can get those styrofoam wads?? I need them for my TK200!! Thanks.........
Old 03-28-2005, 04:26 PM

You might try either Bass Pro Shops or Cabela's, since they both offer Knight muzzleloaders. And you might be able to purchase them direct from Knight, go to www.knightrifles.com.

Year ago, I bought a 12-gauge wad punch from Dixie Gun Works...and I now cut my own from the yellow styrofaom trays that meat is sold in.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:38 AM

Go to www.whiterifles.com, they sell a PowerCup that is tappered making it very easy to get through a .665 choke. Just a suggestion from another 'Dirty White Boy'.